Does changing meta - even if it's mostly the same - "reset" my progress in Google?

noesac

Ok many months ago I messed up some of my meta during an auto generate.

For example "iPhone case Belkin" became "iPhone case Belkin hello"

I've always wanted to go back and remove the "hello", however I'm scared that I'll undo all the progress I've made with Google over the last few months, so I'm wondering...

...even if the first part of the meta remains 100% identical, will changing the end part slightly "reset" things with Google?

If you change the URL (Friendly url) then google will take this as a new page, and it will take some time for google to rank you page again depending on the index "speed" on site.

Changing the Title and meta description/keyword alone could harm your ranking depending on what you change in it. If Iphone is what you rank at and you remove that keyword, offcourse you loose you ranking on that keyword. If you move the word as fare to the left as posible it could improve your ranking, moveing it to the right could damaged it deping on many things ex. competions on that specific keyword.

If removing extraneous meta keywords causes your all your webpages to then have the exact same meta tag keywords, you might want to consider 'changing' (vs removing) the extra keyword. You'll know if your meta keywords are too similar if you use Google 'Webmaster Tools' and look at the information regarding your site.