Update Copy of shop to test - while keeping original live?

Hi I am currently running a quite heavily modded v1.2.1 and want to upgrade to latest stable version - but have no downtime.

Prestahop currently runs in /root of web directory and off 'store' database. I have duplicated the existing 1.2.1 database on server - now 'storetest', downloaded latest prestashop, copied all images, modules relevant config files (edited from / to point to /prestashop folder and use DB 'storetest') etc into new /prestashop folder.

If I now upload this to server and run install I am hoping that this will update storetest' database and allow me to run test store from the new /prestahop folder and updated 'storetest' database - whilst keeping original store in /webroot live running off the original 'store' database.

Does anyone know if this will work??

Thanks

Baz

Taking into consideration that you have created a new database and a new prestashop folder and everything is done with reference to your new store, the installation page will show the update button...

Shouldn't be a problem.....But to be very safe ----Backup your original store!!.
:)