US Sales Tax setup

Hello.

I have searched this forum. Found a few post about sale tax collected for only certain state, but I did not see the solution for 1.3 version. So I am posting this question. If There is already post for 1.3, please let me know where to find the answer.

What I want to do is to collect sales tax ONLY if customer is from CA. I don't want to show prices with tax on my product page. I just want to add state sales tax at checkout.

I have followed tax instruction from wiki, but it did not work.

What am I doing wrong?

Create a new tax item (Payment >> Taxes), say CST 8.25%, and check boxes for the relevant zone and the state.

Under (Payment >> Taxes >> Tax options) select option Yes for "Enable Tax".

Make sure all products have CST applied to them (Catalog >> [product] >> Info).

Ensure USA is in the correct zone (Shipping >> Countries) and "Contains States" is checked.

Ensure California has correct Zone and Country (Shipping >> States) and have "Both product & state tax" selected.

Ensure in every group you have "Tax excluded" selected for "Price display method"

Now everyone (incl. Californians) will see prices with tax excluded and only addresses from California CST applied during checkout.

However, there is a bug in 1.3.1 where tax excluded prices are calculated incorrectly. It may have been fixed in SVN version. I will look more into it tonight and let you know.

Edited to add: yes the tax calculation bug has been fixed in 1.3.x maintenance branch

Thank you for your explanation!

Now, It seems to be working, but now I have more questions.

Ideally, it is best that I only see tax in "Shopping tax summary" (when you click the shopping cart.) so that even California customer can see what she/he is paying (original retail price) and total tax (that is going to be added to total.)

Because right now, tax is included in the price if you click on each item while you are logged in with california address.
Maybe I am not doing
“Tax excluded” selected for “Price display method”

But I did not know how to go about.

Hope you understand what I am trying to achieve and understand my question.

thank you!

Maybe I am not doing
“Tax excluded” selected for “Price display method”

Go to back end >> Customers >> Groups and edit each group you have to set "Price display method" to "Tax Excluded" then California addresses will see the products tax excluded too but when viewing cart tax will be displayed.

There is one group, "Default" that is created during installation. Go to back end >> Customers >> Groups. If you did not create any groups, you will see a table with a single row, the default group, click on edit icon and change the value for "Price display method" to "Tax excluded"

Hi.

Thank you for your instruction, but I have no luck.....

If I log in with california address, price for each item (on item page) shows with tax (says tax included)

If I log out, it goes back without tax.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong. I did follow everything you said. Thanks

Sorry for small comments.

Well, now I found out that if I choose to add "sales tax" to each product, an additional tax is calculated for Californian.
So I stopped applying CST to each product, now it calculates correctly.

however, again, the same problem. Tax is still calculated when I click each product.
What I want to achieve is to show ONLY retail price without any tax for EVERYONE including californian. For CA people, I want them to see sales tax during the check out. Please help me.

Thank you and sorry about my english.

Thank you :lol:

Well, they are check as "tax excluded" I followed everything what you said. Tax seems to be added I think because each product has "CST" added under tax (catalog>info). If I choose no tax here, tax is added only when I log in with california address.

But ultimately, I want sale tax added at checkout......

What else can I do? or what am I missing???

Thanks

strange, no worries, there is more than one way to get there. Please change California to "state tax" only (Shipping >> States >> California >> Tax behavior). Make sure the tax you setup is applying to California state only (Payment >> Taxes). Then in the products select no tax. Make sure Tax excluded selected for price display method and the taxes are enabled.

Hi. Thank you for your reply.

I did followed everything you said. It "kind of" works as I said before.

Tax only shows when I log in with california address which is good. But I want to show price with tax when you check out not while you are shopping.
If a customer logs in with CA address as soon as he/she comes to the store, all of products will show the price with tax.

Is there any way to fix this?

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone - was having the same problem, but I might have figured out what's up...

cupK - which theme are you using?

I was testing a new theme "element" (posted on these forums), and that theme has several bugs - including this issue. It seems the coding in the .tpl files only allows for the behavior cupK is describing. It's possible the theme you are using is not coded in such a way to allow for the tax display that you want.

The default theme (the one installed with Prestashop) works exactly how cupK wants.

Hello, bluedemon21.
Thank you for your input!!!

do you know which tpl file I should change/edit? or is that something I should not mess with?

I don't know much about editing. So please be patient with me.

Thank you!

cupK - it's fine to mess with the tpl files, but definitely make backups of the ones you change before editing them (that way you can always revert back to the original).

Offhand I don't know exactly which tpl file needs to be edited - but I think it might be "order-detail.tpl" in your theme's folder. I'm a self-learner and don't know much about the actual coding - but what I would do is look at the coding for the order-detail.tpl from the default theme installed with PrestaShop and see what's in it. Copy the part of the code that relates to the details and drop that in your current theme's order-detail.tpl.

I can't offer much technical detail aside from that since I'm not that good at coding - but hopefully this is enough to get you started.

strange, no worries, there is more than one way to get there. Please change California to "state tax" only (Shipping >> States >> California >> Tax behavior). Make sure the tax you setup is applying to California state only (Payment >> Taxes). Then in the products select no tax. Make sure Tax excluded selected for price display method and the taxes are enabled.

Phrasespot,

Thanks for your persistence in this post. It took me a while and I had to read every word twice while I was following your directions, but I got my site to work.

I just tested it with an in-state and out-of-state address and it omits the tax until you get to the shopping cart. It includes the tax only if you are an in-state resident, which is the rule I have to follow here in Colorado. I've been struggling with this for days.

Thank you so much.

Phrasespot,

Thanks for your persistence in this post. It took me a while and I had to read every word twice while I was following your directions, but I got my site to work.

I just tested it with an in-state and out-of-state address and it omits the tax until you get to the shopping cart. It includes the tax only if you are an in-state resident, which is the rule I have to follow here in Colorado. I've been struggling with this for days.

Thank you so much.

Actually, I found out I was wrong. The solution noted works great for one of my sites, but it doesn't work for another where I have combinations that affect the price. Please see http://www.westernslopeliving.com/store/.

I have a tax rule that should apply 2.9% to Colorado residents only. I should be able to log into my website and see retail prices without tax in the store area. If you are a Colorado resident and add an item to the cart, you should see an amount in the tax line of the cart detail. If you are not a Colorado resident, there should be no tax added.

What I'm having trouble with is that when I log in as a Colorado resident, I seem to be getting a tax discount in the store area. All of my prices are lowered by the Colorado rate. I've tried everything and just can't figure out what I have set wrong. I would be willing to pay to get this fixed. Please e-mail or PM me if you can help.

Curt Donohue