Migration of customer data from PS 1.6 to 1.7

irocivan

Hello,

I haven't found in the forums a way to migrate only customer data from PS 1.6 to 1.7.  I would like to start using PS 1.7 without messing up the database too much and that's why I am willing to start everything from scratch. I only would like to transfer the customer data from my existing database (1.6 ) to the new fresh 1.7 so that they can log into our internet shop without any problems and make orders as normally. 

Any ideas how to achieve this?

Irocivan

You will need to export your customers data from your current store, and import them back to new site. You can do this manually using sql, or use some export/import solution.

Also, don't forget to transfer you server settings, especially COOKIE_KEY. This one is used to 'salt' your passwords, and if you don't transfer this, passwords will not work.

• Like 1

Thanks DataKick,

I am not expert on MySQL so I wonder if there is some HOW TO instruction somewhere about this. I was surprised that no guidelines has been ever been done for migrating only customer data. I suppose many companies like me are interested in keeping only this data on the new releases.

I don't think many merchants want to migrate customer's data only. They usually want to keep order data as well. And customer communication / support messages... and that is half the data there is stored in your prestashop. 

Also, starting from scratch is not really the best idea, from seo point of view. You will have to import your catalog data again. And it's very likely that your products/categories/features/attributes will have different IDs, so they will have different URL associated. That's nightmare from SEO perspective. Your incoming links will no longer work, google will flag your products page as duplicate (it will take some time till it actually re-index your site), etc...

• 3 years later...
On 2/27/2018 at 3:39 PM, DataKick said:

You will need to export your customers data from your current store, and import them back to new site. You can do this manually using sql, or use some export/import solution.

Also, don't forget to transfer you server settings, especially COOKIE_KEY. This one is used to 'salt' your passwords, and if you don't transfer this, passwords will not work.

Hi

Old prestashop 1.6  new 1.7  i have change the COOKIE_KEY_  but now this is not the problem.

in version 1.7 is much more complicated. In this case it is required to change the way of how correctness of password is checked in prestashop 1.7. This requires core code changes.  

Do you know code?