Quarter of a million products

Firstly let me say thanks for a great piece of software. Got me out of a few scrapes.

I have a client that needs to sell spare parts. I have their database, and its 256,000+ spares for 5,000 items. In presta terms, thats quarter of a million products with more than 5k sections.

i'll be using sections to represent the product, and products to represent the spares for that product with modified templates to tie it all together.

I just did a test import and managed to get 68,000+ products in there before the importer crapped out. I noticed a little slowdown in the front end but nothing terrible, my test is running on a dedicated server.

My question is, whats the maximum amount of products i can have before presta dies (before i waste my time faffing with it) and for developers out there, what can i do to make the whole thing faster. What features are the most costly with respect to product display and searches. Can i turn things off for more speed?

28272_aCtkrr1Y4jlKR6zWdLEk_t

Hello,

A very little advice from a begginer :

Import all the products on a local machine, then, when all is perfect, import the database to your distant server.

The import engine of PS is very tricky and can make you crazy before the end of the day.

Then, working on local machine, all is faster, and you can make many attempts with no risk of server overloads.

Good luck !

I helped a site with about 220,000 products optimize it for speed.

The biggest problem was the site search, I have posted a fix on the forum that took the speed down from a few minutes to 1-4 seconds.

Also, it's best not to have too many items in one category (for many reasons), another potential slowdown is having a really large number of categories, and certain 3rd party modules, usually tag related.