[SOLVED] Can I import my product catalog from local host to live server

Hi,

I have searched the forums but I can't seem to find the answer to my question. I would like to know how to import my product catalog from my localhost test shop to my live hosted shop?

I have spent quite some time populating the product catalog on my test shop that is hosted locally on my pc and now I would like to export it to my live hosted shop. Ideally I would like to just move the catalog and associated files without having to do a complete DB backup restore.

Can anyone offer a solution I might try?

Thanks,

Luke.

If you are using the same version of PrestaShop for both stores, you should be able to the copy the product tables from one database to the other.

I'm guessing by "copy" you mean perform an export of the required table on one DB and then an import of that table on the other DB?

If it's a simple as that I will give it try but perhaps from my Live shop to test shop first. I'll make sure I pick a table that won't overwrite data I need in the test shop.

Thanks,

Luke.

• 1 month later...

Hi luke . .can u please send me the your instructions?

When you say import catalog, u mean copying your existing shop from local PC to host server?

I am new to presta shop and just playing around to get a feel for it . . I am doing this on my local host (my PC) and so far, i have taken the standard template, removed the existing catalog, and added some pics and description of my own products i am planning to sell .. Before I spend too much time creating a real store and adding all my products in the test environment (my PC), i want to make sure i can just take the whole thing from my PC and dump it into a host environment and open it the shop to public .. is that what u were doing as well? Should I expect any problems in doing so?

My second question was, any idea how i can make a backup of my existing shop on a second PC just in case my first PC goes back (hardware/software issues) .. i will be putting a lot of time creating my website and don;t wnat to have start all over again ..

Thanks for your help.

Hi luke . .can u please send me the your instructions?

When you say import catalog, u mean copying your existing shop from local PC to host server?

I am new to presta shop and just playing around to get a feel for it . . I am doing this on my local host (my PC) and so far, i have taken the standard template, removed the existing catalog, and added some pics and description of my own products i am planning to sell .. Before I spend too much time creating a real store and adding all my products in the test environment (my PC), i want to make sure i can just take the whole thing from my PC and dump it into a host environment and open it the shop to public .. is that what u were doing as well? Should I expect any problems in doing so?

My second question was, any idea how i can make a backup of my existing shop on a second PC just in case my first PC goes back (hardware/software issues) .. i will be putting a lot of time creating my website and don;t wnat to have start all over again ..

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

My query was actually relating to taking JUST the product catalog i.e. descriptions, pictures etc, categories etc... and transferring them from my localhost to the live environment. This is achieved by exporting the tables from the sql back-end of the localhost and then importing them into sql back-end of the live shop. I have written instructions on how to do this but it's a little tricky.

Now for your question. What you want to do is relatively straight forward as long as you approach it in the right manner and do everything carefully. I quite often take a 'snapshot' of my live shop and set it up in a localhost environment. Again I have written instructions for myself that I could email over. They may contain errors so use at your own risk.

One thing worth pointing out is that I use a external laptop hard drive in a small usb enclosure. I have installed 'Portable Apps' along with xampp and the xampp launcher. This allows me to have a copy of my shop as a localhost no matter what pc I am using.

Just send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the instructions.

Regards

Luke.

• 2 years later...