I Need A 'Setup Shop' Tutorial

abrogard

I have installed Presta quite easily thanks to my host.  But I'm getting bogged down trying to change that default 'shop' to my own.

I saw somewhere (but it's not everywhere) that it was in 'demo' mode.  Perhaps that's a problem?  I should change out of demo mode somewhere, somehow?

I created a new category (there's only women's fashions or something at the moment) and it doesn't appear anywhere, can't see it.  I did see somewhere - and can't find it again - a flashed up window that said something about having to enable/configure a menu, I think, before a new category will be visible. But I can't find either that message or how to do that thing.

I have seen plenty of 'install' help pages but that's not it.  I need a simple set of instructions on how to configure the store with my own stock, etc.

And lastly, is it truly freeware?  Because hunting around to get this category thing up I was at 'modules' trying to follow a forum post about the subject and something flashed up about having to have your credit card configured or something:  gave me a definite impression it was saying all the good stuff is beyond here and you can't pass here without paying up......   

So I need a little help to clarify.  if someone can be so kind......

:)

First of all: yes, it is free. Of course Prestashop is a company and they need to make money. But they do that with support and selling modules on Addons. The basic stuff is free and you can build quite a big shop with free only.

I am afraid you are out of luck with your question for explanation. The things that you ask for are obvious to 99 out of 100 people.  So the consensus will be that it is you that need to spend more time studying things and not Prestashop that needs to do more explaining.

Just one tip: categories form a tree and they can switched on (=active) and off. The root category is always invisible. The basis of a shop is its Home category. So after you make a category, check under which category you made it and check that it is active. Then you should be able to see it.