Themes, addons, a good idea?

roubos

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but here it goes.

Coming from a long background of using Joomla to create websites, I wanted to ask the following.

Is it safe, and a good idea to use addons and themes for Prestashop, or just go with the base theme and edit that and that alone? By safe I mean how future proof will a site be with many external addons with updates and compatibility.

In joomla a lot of purchasable themes out there are loaded with bloatware. Modules and addons which could be a potential security risk. And on top it it making the website problematic when updating it. I have had such an issue in the past that a site broke after an update due to the theme and its modules not being compatible with the updates.

I guess the same thing goes with Prestashop right?

I want to create an online store now, and I know prestashop is perfect for that (another issue with Joomla is that eshops are an external component).

In the past I have created a Prestashop site with many custom done modules which ofcourse could not be updated. And a simple eshop with the default Prestashop theme which worked like a charm.

What are people's thoughts and recommendations ?

Any thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

If you have time you can do it yourself. In my opinon when you chose a reliable theme developer you can have much time effort by buying a ready made theme. Without some extra addons mostly it is not workable to do what you want. Also here its the best to use a minimum of addons, and only from well known developers. In the addonstore you can find them by filtering on rating, how long the developer is a member of prestashop (you can see form which version a module is used) etc. etc.

When using a lot of modules form several developers the chance on a conflict will increase, but i am happily using my shop for 3 years with a bought theme and about 10 addons.

Yes you're right. I have been making websites using joomla and paid templates. But a simple CMS site is very different from an eCommerce site.

I have created a Prestashop site once, and used a paid theme. The site does work, but I had to use so many modules with so much customizing done to them from their developers (to suit my needs), that I can no longer update anything.  My only concern with updates are security patches.

Now I need to make a simple store. So I guess I will end up getting a paid theme. I don't think I will need any special custom addons so it should be fine this time around.

I just hope the theme does get updated so that it follows the Prestashop updates. I would hate to not be able to update Prestashop because the theme would break.

Thanks for that link. It's a great theme and one I will consider for sure.

I was browsing and just came across and was looking at the Amelia theme from Apollo themes http://apollotheme.com/products/free-ap-amelia-prestashop-theme-version-1-7-2-1

The Warehouse theme has tons of options and addons which could prove helpful in the future. Even if right now they seem too much for a simple store.

How is it regarding updates? I mean, when updating the theme along with prestashop?

Edited by roubos
added comments (see edit history)

Yes they update on a regular base. I have bought this theme long time ago, and i still am able to download the latest upgraded versions, even after the support period has been gone(ofcourse when i now need support i have to buy support, but i always have the latest version).

I dont use it anymore because it has to many features for me, i use i more simple theme which has been modified a little.

Also a very reliable developer is thisone(always updating and superb support): www.templatin.com

thanks for that theme as well.

I know what you mean regarding a simple theme. Themes tend to be overwhelming with addons so they can attract more customers and be more flexible with people's needs.

But simple store with the basic needs, does not require so many addons. Even page builders. I think that page builders are more a tool for people designing themes.

• 4 weeks later...

I would say yes its always a good idea to use addons. There are more than 3,000 PrestaShop addons which help you to customize your online store, improve conversions and sales, increase traffic, and enhance shopping experiences by building customer loyalty. There are both free Prestashop addons, as well as paid ones to cater to a lot of aspects of your eCommerce store. Take a look here, it will give you some bright ideas. :)