Starnge problem while moving a store

metalice

hello

i have a 1.6 store installed on /public_html/ 

i have another store 1.7 installed on /public_html/xxxxx/

now, using cpanel addon domains changing domain folder from /public_html/ to /public_html/xxxxx/

next i go to DB of the 1.7 store and change the ps_shop_uri -> physical_uri from /xxxxx/ to /

as /xxxxx/ is set as the new root for the domain..

but when going to www.domain.com its still loading index file from /public_html/ and not /public_html/xxxx/ while looking for resources as css, imges, etc at /public_html/xxxxx/

is it a htaccess issue or something? is there any where else in DB i need to change things?

its not server issue, as i tested putting a test index.html in /public_html/xxxxx/ and domain load it nicely.. 

so its prestashop issue that redirect/load back from public_html instead of /public_html/xxxxx/

please help me out here.. im lost :(

You cannot use different databases installed on different PS-Versions. You should go in this case with 1-click-upgrade module. The only way to unify data is with export, migration or upgrade service. Another way is not possible.

If your shop is running under PS 1.6. keep it and wait for a stable PS 1.7.x or best PS 1.8. PS 1.7. is still in development and full of bugs and problems.

You cannot use different databases installed on different PS-Versions. You should go in this case with 1-click-upgrade module. The only way to unify data is with export, migration or upgrade service. Another way is not possible.

If your shop is running under PS 1.6. keep it and wait for a stable PS 1.7.x or best PS 1.8. PS 1.7. is still in development and full of bugs and problems.

sorry maybe i wasnt clear, those are 2 different shops, 1.7 is setup and installed brand new and i used the migration module (bought from addon store) to transfer all old data into new 1.7 , all data is there.

only issue is the loading of index file which i dont understand why its acting like that, as explained above.

Sorry, which migration module ? You had only to use the 1-click-upgrade module version 3.0. There is nothing to buy.

The module you find for free here: https://addons.prestashop.com/en/data-migration-backup/5496-.html

After upgrade you simply login again and you can immediately use the upgraded shop without to make any changes in files or database. Why are you changing on database the location of your shop ? If you shop is not installed there than it surely will not work. If it is working partially, than this is due to server cache, but when this is cleaned (depends also on server configuration) than the shop will not work at all. What you are seeing now is surely a cached version.

Sorry, which migration module ? You had only to use the 1-click-upgrade module version 3.0. There is nothing to buy.

The module you find for free here: https://addons.prestashop.com/en/data-migration-backup/5496-.html

After upgrade you simply login again and you can immediately use the upgraded shop without to make any changes in files or database. Why are you changing on database the location of your shop ? If you shop is not installed there than it surely will not work. If it is working partially, than this is due to server cache, but when this is cleaned (depends also on server configuration) than the shop will not work at all. What you are seeing now is surely a cached version.

Ill explain detail by detail what have been done and what is the problem as you think there was upgrade made and there wasn't none.

- We have a 1.6 store running for a few years now.

- We wanted to migrate to 1.7 as we think there is a lot of benefits from UX point of view.

- Currently setup of store 1.6 is as follows: our domain, lets call it domain1.com , its root file folder is /public_html/ - ps 1.6 installed on this folder - this is an addon domain on cpanel.

- We download and install 1.7 to folder /public_html/domain1.com/ - using completely new DB and DB user.

- We received a brand new 1.7 store, with url www.domain1.com/domain1.com 

- All is working correctly -> 1.6 store continue to be our live store while we are working on the empty store of 1.7.

- We installed the migration addon on the 1.7 store and migrate the data (customer, products,cms, images, etc) from 1.6 to 1.7 using this module  https://addons.prestashop.com/en/data-migration-backup/8934-migrationpro-prestashop-to-prestashop-migration-tool.html

- All is working good -> new store 1.7 contain all data from 1.6 store. 1.6 store still production store as we are working on design and other modules setup in 1.7 store.

- 2 days ago we finished working on 1.7. - 1.7 store is ready for production and dealing with new visitors.

- Now the problem start:

- while going to cpanel -> addon domain -> change root directory -> point from /public_html/ (where 1.6 installed) to /public_html/domain1.com/ (where the new 1.7 store is located)

- we thought its a simple step as the domain root directory will be /public_html/domain1.com/ and will load the 1.7 store.

- cleaned browser cache, - opcahce and  memcached are disabled on server.

-What happen in reality:

- while try to open domain1.com we thought it will open the new 1.7 store without any problem as its working perfectly BUT:

- The index file is still loading from /public_html/ and NOT /public_html/domain1.com/ . While index file is trying to load resources like scripts, images, css from /public_html/doamin1.com/ -that means that domain1.com is still trying to load index from 1.6 store located at /public_html/ while the index file is trying to locate the resources from the new defined root folder, causing the 1.6 to look broken (no css, etc.)

- we first thought its server/cpanel issue, so we made tests, we uploaded a new index.html file into /public_html/domain1.com/ and browser load it correctly while going to www.domain1.com

- so we came to a conclusion that this is a prestashop issue, which means, while going to www.domain1.com , the prestashop 1.7 files or DB(??) is trying to load/redirect to the index file on /public_html/ instead of /public_html/domain1.com 

- ive posted this issue hoping someone can help us sort it out, where/what to edit so it will load the right index file from /public_html/domain1.com and not go back to /public_html/

is it more clear now?

thank you for all your help.

Matan

1) Sorry, again, why you don't use the 1-click-upgrade module for to upgrade your PS 1.6. to PS 1.7 ? Why are you doing so complicated. As I told before you don't need to reinvent the wheel. Simply use the ressources available which are on board. You don't need to install PS 1.7. to migrate your PS 1.6. shop.

2) Furthermore you cannot arbitrarily change the root of the shop on your server. You need to use the one which are added by install of your domain. If you want to change the root on the server configuration than you should access your server settings by SSH and putty and change the config-files of server as well. Only if you have cPAnel as server admin version installed you can change domains with cPanel. Do you have admin cPanel version installed, or only cPanel as webuser? If you are using two different domains than these domains should be registered as a new host on your server.

If you are using sub-domain of a domain, than you should first add the subdomain to the DNS of your domain and than you should as well add the sub-domain of your domain with cPanel to your webspace.

1) Sorry, again, why you don't use the 1-click-upgrade module for to upgrade your PS 1.6. to PS 1.7 ? Why are you doing so complicated. As I told before you don't need to reinvent the wheel. Simply use the ressources available which are on board. You don't need to install PS 1.7. to migrate your PS 1.6. shop.

2) Furthermore you cannot arbitrarily change the root of the shop on your server. You need to use the one which are added by install of your domain. If you want to change the root on the server configuration than you should access your server settings by SSH and putty and change the config-files of server as well. Only if you have cPAnel as server admin version installed you can change domains with cPanel. Do you have admin cPanel version installed, or only cPanel as webuser? If you are using two different domains than theses domains should be registered as a new host on your server. If you are using sub.domain of a domain, than you should first add the subdomain to the DNS of your domain and than you should as well add the sub-domain of your domain with cPanel to your webspace.

its dedi server. i have cpanel+whm, the root change of addon domain works perfectly. as i mention with our index.html file that we tested.

its something relate to PS script while loading the index file its redirect to /public_html/index and not stay in /public_html/domain1/

this is the only issue..

and about the migration process - we done it like that as our ps db was huge because of unnecessary modules once installed, we preferred a clean install and import only needed data, its actually a very easy process using the module i mention above except the problem that i described which is also unrelated to the module as well... 

Simply use the 1-click-upgrade module version 3.0 and you will have no problem to run your PS 1.7 upgraded from PS 1.6. All what you have done is not the way for to upgrade Prestashop. You don't need to migrate as for the ordinary sense.

If you think database of PS 1.6. is big, than you will have problem with PS 1.7. it is bigger in 1/3, as there are added some table more. Furthermore don't use PS 1.7. in production. This will be a transitional version to the next which should be symfony. Now we have part of old and part of new and several of bugs.

what do you mean by that? "PS 1.7. in production. This will be a transitional version to the next which should be symfony. Now we have part of old and part of new and several of bugs."

i understand what you are saying, but this is current situation we are facing and we need a solution, upgrading using  1click is not a solution right now.. 

Simply don't upgrade and wait for next generation, which should be 100% symfony framework. PS 1.7. is a compromise as the initial plan to migrate Prestashop from smarty to symfony didn't worked in the time they stipulated. Now we have a hybrid version which uses smarty on parts and symfony on parts as well and therefore full of bugs.

PS 1.7 is still in development and beta.

The only way to migrate is to use the 1-click-upgrade module. Or you simply install PS 1.7. new and export all data from database of PS 1.6. and reimport by csv or XML to new PS 1.7. if you don't want to use the upgrade module. For my sense is better you stay with PS 1.6. clean THIS database before you upgrade your shop. The bugs and errors don't will be coming lower with PS 1.7.