Why is search not working properly?

denniswixom

I sell minerals on my website and I never noticed until today that the "search" feature doesn't work properly.  My website is http://teresarocks.com/store  I have several specimens of Galena in my store and when I add each specimen to the website I ALWAYS make sure I have all the search keywords that I need to have in my "tags" under the "options" tab.  When I went to search for Galena in my store, it only yielded one result.  So i went back to all my products in back office and went to edit several "galena" specimens, and each and every single one has "galena" in the tags.  So I'm lost and could definitely use some help.  Thanks.

No you shouldn't rebuild the index every time you add a new product. But if search doesn't work as expected, a rebuild is always recommended.

I'd also recommend to run the rebuild once a day using a cron job. If you do so, set the run time to night or the time you have almost no visitors.

No you shouldn't rebuild the index every time you add a new product. But if search doesn't work as expected, a rebuild is always recommended.

I'd also recommend to run the rebuild once a day using a cron job. If you do so, set the run time to night or the time you have almost no visitors.

Worked like a charm!  Thanks

• 2 years later...
On 7/28/2017 at 11:23 PM, Scully said:

Worked to me too! Thank you!
A funny thing is how the search got broken. There was one product I listed and while I was adding attributes and characteristics it got somehow messy, it didn't show properly on the website even tho it showed up in the catalogue in the back office. Next day I tried editing that product again ant there were like 20+ characteristics added, they all were repeating them selves. And then the search bar stopped working properly - funny thing is that i could no more get any search results containing any word that was in that messed up products page. (eg. there was characteristic "Kinect" and that word no longer gave any search results even tho I had 20+ products containing that word).
Anyway, thank you a lot!