Attributes and Combination generator in PS 1.7

AdwWiki

Good morning,

I have a question, in older version of PS I could change the price impact of attributes combinations by selecting just the ATTRIBUTES( for example RED -> 10 euro, GREY -> 5 euro, Small ->5 euro... and so on) then PS automatically changed the prices for all the possible combinations. In PS 1.7 if I want to change the price impact I have to use the combination generator that generates all the possible combination then I should change the price impact for every combination. I found also this topic:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello.
In prestashop 1.7 the combinations have been simplified, but, when you need to generate a large number of combinations with different prices and price increases, how can you manage this without having to modify one by one? For example, a sofa with several measures in which it increases the price, textures, and several combinations that also carry their corresponding increase, how do I manage this? Prestashop 1.6 gave us the option to do it easily, and Ps1.7 did not? Attached 2 images. One of Ps1.6 and another of another product in ps1.7.
I know you have the option of mass actions, but once you have already generated all the combinations, therefore you have to go selecting the different combinations and calculating prices manually. Ps 1.6 performed this automatically. Attached images
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you help me in some way? Because for products with a lot of combinations it is impossible to set the price impact for all! 

So the question is: Can I make just the attributes change the price and not by modifying all the combinations???

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Yup, i was just laughing my ass off when i realized that presta stripped this function in 1.7.

After two month of setting up 1.7.5 (now) i simply can´t use my shop because all my products have combinations 500+.... figured this out just now, unfortunately.

I also replied here https://github.com/PrestaShop/PrestaShop/issues/10035

I´m wondering why on this thread the last answer from desger99 is from august 2018.

No one complaining? How do you guys solved this problem?

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

This is a very harsh problem for all... it's practically impossible to modify attributes and their single price impacts... I couldn't find any solution and it looks like no one from Prestashop is giving an answer on that.... please write here if you find solutions. thank you all!

• 5 months later...

I too am upgrading a shop from 1.5.6.2 to 1.7.6.1 and have found this limitation. I'm wondering if this paid module will restore the capability that used to be included in the back office for free.

Bulk Combinations Generator Module - $59.99 

The current 1.7 "simplified" attributes and combinations method is unusable!

Has anybody found a workable solution?

<rant on>

When Prestashop updates software with major releases, the team should make sure all existing capabilities are maintained.  Many of us Prestashop users have shops that rely on features and capabilities we don't want to lose by a software upgrade. I am upgrading from 1.5.6.2 only because it will not run under PHP 7 which I am being forced to migrate to.  Otherwise, I'd be happy to stay with the Prestashop 1.5 version.  I've been using Prestashop since version 1.2.  The  upgrade to 1.7 is the first I've needed to purchase a 3rd party data migration module to move my data.  The One click upgrade process just doesn't work for me.

</rant off>

Edited by Rhapsody (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 12:09 AM, Rhapsody said:

I too am upgrading a shop from 1.5.6.2 to 1.7.6.1 and have found this limitation. I'm wondering if this paid module will restore the capability that used to be included in the back office for free.

Bulk Combinations Generator Module - $59.99 

The current 1.7 "simplified" attributes and combinations method is unusable!

Has anybody found a workable solution?

<rant on>

When Prestashop updates software with major releases, the team should make sure all existing capabilities are maintained.  Many of us Prestashop users have shops that rely on features and capabilities we don't want to lose by a software upgrade. I am upgrading from 1.5.6.2 only because it will not run under PHP 7 which I am being forced to migrate to.  Otherwise, I'd be happy to stay with the Prestashop 1.5 version.  I've been using Prestashop since version 1.2.  The  upgrade to 1.7 is the first I've needed to purchase a 3rd party data migration module to move my data.  The One click upgrade process just doesn't work for me.

</rant off>

Hi Rhpsody, thank you for you contribution. Honestly, I boght also that module that you mentioned and I can say that is very hard to use and quite partial for what we may need... I wouldn't recommend it unless you find a way to use it... 

On 11/16/2019 at 5:55 AM, Sasax80 said:

Hi Rhpsody, thank you for you contribution. Honestly, I boght also that module that you mentioned and I can say that is very hard to use and quite partial for what we may need... I wouldn't recommend it unless you find a way to use it... 

I can confirm the purchased module does not meet the requirements.  It is better at generating the combinations without timing out, but the ability to edit and set quantities for different combinations is virtually impossible.

I ran across this thread [Free Script] Prestools Suite: Mass Edit, Order Edit And Much More that may have a workable solution.  I am going to try this and will report what I find.

9 hours ago, Rhapsody said:

I can confirm the purchased module does not meet the requirements.  It is better at generating the combinations without timing out, but the ability to edit and set quantities for different combinations is virtually impossible.

I ran across this thread [Free Script] Prestools Suite: Mass Edit, Order Edit And Much More that may have a workable solution.  I am going to try this and will report what I find.

More to report and it isn't all good, but not because of the script.  The free script tools allow setting of quantities with some good query tools.  Setting of prices for combinations requires a paid version, but I never went to the next step to do that.

What I found is PS Version 1.7.6.1 will not handle the same attributes I was able to make work on the 1.5.6.2 version of my shop.  A product was defined with 7 dropdown selectors with the following number of options for each dropdown (4,4,4,4,4,4,2).   I set a default condition with 0 quantity to prevent people adding to cart unless required selections were made.  There is more than a 30 second lag from the time that the dropdown is selected and the cart button is enabled.  The same product combination on PS 1.5.6.2 responded in less than 1 second.

Based on this limitation, I will not upgrade my shop to 1.7.6.1, and instead will try upgrading to PS version 1.6.1.24.  

Prestashop 1.7.6.1 is a step back in capability from 1.5.6.2!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ps is there any development as regards the automatic updating of the impact the product attributes has on prices in PS 1.7? i have over 300 product combinations with over 100 store products. i can not update each price impact individually

• 4 months later...

Seem to have stumbled on this thread while looking for easy way to sort combinations out. 

we have products like a fuel tank which has 3 different sizes, 2 mounting types and then 4 ports all with 6 or more fitting options, some no cost and some chargeable. I did a quick calculation and came to over 19000 combinations using the standard built in method - which brought my web server down straight away. 

How on earth are we mean to have these sort of products?

• 1 month later...

Hello, I have the same problem on a customer's eshop using PS 1.7, and we are very disappointed.

The combinations generator of PS17 does not even lets you set up a price addon for each attribute forming the combinations when generating them. For editing combinations it's worth near to nothing (unless you want to calculate prices for each single combinations yourself of course!). What step back!!

We have bought a module for generating combinations named WK Mass Combinations Assignment for Products which we are currently testing it but I cannot confirm yet if it is equivalent to the interface in PS 1.6, as we not only need a way to generate combinations - we also need a way to update them (or to re-generate them) starting from price increases that were set for all the variable attributes.

If there are news to this topic (or also modules solving this issue) please post!

An Update.

I specifically tested the modules:

to see IF:

- If they succeed in replacing the functionality of creating combinations of a product with variations on a few attributes while assigning different price increments to attribute values, and

- If they succeed in "getting back" price increments assigned to attributes in case we want to edit prices later (I mean, a shop owner cannot remember after weeks which price increments he had set to every single attribute of  product, so this need to be stored somewhere)

Here is my typical use case: I sell T-shirts, with 3 colours white black and blue with basic price 10 $. Blue costs 5 $ more

Then I make them in cotton or silk. Silk costs 20 $ more because it is more expensive.

Finally each shirt comes either short or long version. Long costs 5 $ more because it uses more fabric.

Now I need to generate the prices for all these combinations of the 3 attributes (color,fabric,version: 3x2x2=12 combinations) and later I will need to edit price increases (say Silk has grown in price, or I have a new colour to be added) but I want to be able to edit the price increases as I originally set up.

The results.

Both these two modules in my tests did a good job in making easy the task of generating the combinations over these 3 attributes, and I could set the price increase for Blue, Silk and Long shirt version, and this is where the new PS17 interface did fail (or perhaps I don't know how to use it properly?).

But - and here is the REAL problem! - both modules require me to Save/export the attributes+price increase setup before generating the combinations in case I want to change them later and start off where I left. WK Combinations uses a quick Save/Load function, while the other uses a sort of text file save for saving settings.

Anyway ...

>> I can forget of saving settings! Good old Presta 1.6 did save all this information for me, automatically, and I could re-enter the combinations screen, edit price increases, re-generate combinations, even add new attribute values (let's say we now produce a new colour: Red)

>> my Presta 1.7 has been obtained migrating from a Prestashop 1.6 install. In my old Presta 1.6 I can still see combination attributes and their price increases if I try to edit combinations: so this information is still somewhere in the DB! Why somebody has decided to erase/loose this vital piece of information, why the newly developed modules don't recover and don't save this information automatically when I hit "generate"--- I cannot really understand.

Hope the above is useful to somebody. I feel the new PS17 lacks a vital piece of software and so far I don't see a module which fully replaces the old functionality.

It is very bery disappointing to discover that somebody has thought this functionality was something that could be left behind. Apparel shops do use this feature extensively, so cutting off a (working!) crucial functionality simply means loosing behind faithful customers.

Zoom out the page twice/thrice to see the price impact column on generated combinations. It is  hidden by default on smaller screen size. I dont know why they hide that column. I just discovered this option today after so many google searches.

@datshay thanks this is useful and at least solves the case in which more or less all products have the same price and you want to tweak the price increase of a few cmbinations.

The problem still unsolved is that, if your price increases are calculated according to the variable attributes (see my example in my post above) you are completely alone, you have to buy a specific module for this. Prestashop 1.6 had this feature, it was working perfectly and it's a real problem they have dropped it.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, I'm a newbie with Prestashop 1.7. I think I found a solution without any new module. This test I did help me with for example a SD card with different capacities and higher prices for each capacity.

What I did:

Menu > Sell > Attributes & Features > Attributes > Create all Capacities AND the respective values
Menu > Product > New > Combination product menu > Select all capacities I want that are shown at right conner, example 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB
Combination product menu > At the combination area will show all combinations > Click each capacity to add quantity for and Price and impact > Impact on price (tax excl.) > Add the increase price for example my original price is 100 and I want to add 50 so at this field I put 50 and the finish price will be 150.

If anyone want some print screens of this please let me know.

Best Regards,

Frederico

13 hours ago, Frederico Gribel said:

Hi guys, I'm a newbie with Prestashop 1.7. I think I found a solution without any new module. This test I did help me with for example a SD card with different capacities and higher prices for each capacity.

What I did:

Menu > Sell > Attributes & Features > Attributes > Create all Capacities AND the respective values
Menu > Product > New > Combination product menu > Select all capacities I want that are shown at right conner, example 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB
Combination product menu > At the combination area will show all combinations > Click each capacity to add quantity for and Price and impact > Impact on price (tax excl.) > Add the increase price for example my original price is 100 and I want to add 50 so at this field I put 50 and the finish price will be 150.

Best Regards,

Frederico

Hi Frederico, many thanks for your post. I tried but couldn't manage properly... could you be so kind to send a print screen? ;)

8 hours ago, Sasax80 said:

Hi Frederico, many thanks for your post. I tried but couldn't manage properly... could you be so kind to send a print screen? ;)

Here is the step-by-step. As you can see in pics 10 and 11, the price increases. The result is presented at pics 12 and 13 how will be at live store.

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

07.png

08.png

09.png

10.png

11.png

12.png

13.png

• Like 1

Hi Frederico, really thank you for the deep explanation! This is very useful. Actually this looks like the manual option to change the price impact for each combination. This can be feasible for simple products with few combinations. I have a big catalogue and for every product I have at least 16 different combinations with several attributes summing up together and it is a very long process every time. Anyhow I'm really grateful! 

sal

• Like 1

Has anyone found a better add-on that the two listed in this thread that allows you to enter the attribute price impact and then it works out the combination prices automatically? I can't believe they stripped this from 1.7! It is such a vital feature when you have lots of combinations, especially when prices can change for some of the attributes!

On 1/26/2021 at 12:46 PM, babyewok said:

Has anyone found a better add-on that the two listed in this thread that allows you to enter the attribute price impact and then it works out the combination prices automatically? I can't believe they stripped this from 1.7! It is such a vital feature when you have lots of combinations, especially when prices can change for some of the attributes!

Method by :

On 1/21/2021 at 7:53 PM, Frederico Gribel said:

What I did:

Best Regards,

Frederico

Does not work for me unless i refresh page

Can see you performance settings Fredrico please?

Edited by akme (see edit history)

Hello, please do not get confused: the possibility to edit prices for hand-selected combinations is still there. And this is okay for shops with very limited numer of combinations for each product.

The possibility to have the prices calculated automatically on the basis on attributes, each one having its impact on the final price, well this feature has been removed since PS 1.7. You have to buy a specific module for doing this. This turns out PS 1.7 to be inefficient for large apparel shops which have many product variants due to color, size, fabric, etc. each one having its own price impact. Not to speak about the performance problems due to the backoffice product page - if you have 200+ combinations for a product you have to wait many seconds before being able to successfully save a product and to have the save operation completed.

So if you have to manage say 200+ combinations for each product - be prepared to buy a specific module and to face performance issues.

10 minutes ago, cleoni said:

Hello, please do not get confused: the possibility to edit prices for hand-selected combinations is still there. And this is okay for shops with very limited numer of combinations for each product.

The possibility to have the prices calculated automatically on the basis on attributes, each one having its impact on the final price, well this feature has been removed since PS 1.7. You have to buy a specific module for doing this. This turns out PS 1.7 to be inefficient for large apparel shops which have many product variants due to color, size, fabric, etc. each one having its own price impact. Not to speak about the performance problems due to the backoffice product page - if you have 200+ combinations for a product you have to wait many seconds before being able to successfully save a product and to have the save operation completed.

So if you have to manage say 200+ combinations for each product - be prepared to buy a specific module and to face performance issues.

Ive only 4/6 combinations for not many products, there ll be probably around 15-20max.

Can you recommend any module ? 

@akme with this little number, the key question is if you need to calculate prices. If not, you are OK with the basic PS setup.

Even if you need to calculate prices, you might be fine by calculating them on excel and then manual editing.

Anyway I ended up buing WK Mass Combinations Assignment for Products, it has all what it takes for me. 

4 minutes ago, cleoni said:

@akme with this little number, the key question is if you need to calculate prices. If not, you are OK with the basic PS setup.

Even if you need to calculate prices, you might be fine by calculating them on excel and then manual editing.

Anyway I ended up buing WK Mass Combinations Assignment for Products, it has all what it takes for me. 

I just get use to use combinations in my 2nd store, but its under PS1.6. 

Calculations are very handy and user friendly- looks more professional instead of having 20products on page just with different values.

Heres my problem more less what i was looking for;

Edited by akme (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,
I'm in the exact same situation .. for now I have learned that ..:

1) in ps1.7 it is very difficult or even impossible (if the combinations are many) to manage more than a few combinations without buying a module ... to do what instead on ps 1.6 you did natively;

2) regardless of whether it is ps 1.6 or ps 1.7 with a specific module, there are big limitations, that is many combinations impact in any case on the performance of the back office.

On point 1 I don't have many doubts, the only thing I would like to understand is if it is a valid reason to evaluate the downgrade to ps 1.6.

But what really matters to me is point 2, that is to understand:
1) what is this effective limit of combinations? (who says 1000, who says 2-3000)
2) what exactly depends on and how you can manage or increase this limit, in order to maintain decent performance in the back office
3) does it also impact the performance of the frontend?

I state that in my shop I could, with difficulty, keep within 1000 combinations per product, but as long as this limit allows me at least to maintain good performance.

Thanks in advance!
Hoping in your help, my best regards.

Daniel

Hello, I have items with 500-550 combinations which already put the backoffice under stress. This means that if I save the item before 20 seconds (often 25 seconds) I get an error "Canot save settings" because the page is still loading combinations data via ajax calls in the background. I have tried installing the PS17 on a server with top optimizations and doubled server resources and have lowered the required save time to 10 seconds which is however very high for me. 
Anyway, from the frontoffice perspective, everything goes smoothly.
On the powered server the site was running damn quick, so if who's working in the backoffice has patience, it could be a fair trade.

Edited by cleoni (see edit history)

Thank you very much @cleoni. So you are saying me that, with the right optimizations, the better solution is Prestashop 1.7?

Could you tell me what are these optimizations? Consider that I've a VPS with 2 CPU and 2G of memory. What about the configurations in php.ini? memory_limit, max_input_vars, ecc...??

Thanks so much in advance, I desperately need a solution!

On 2/22/2021 at 8:29 AM, DanielDA said:

Thank you very much @cleoni. So you are saying me that, with the right optimizations, the better solution is Prestashop 1.7?

Could you tell me what are these optimizations? Consider that I've a VPS with 2 CPU and 2G of memory. What about the configurations in php.ini? memory_limit, max_input_vars, ecc...??

Thanks so much in advance, I desperately need a solution!

ive upgraded my host to almost highest possible with memory of 1024 etc and still no luck. 

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem, i have just a few products but with alot of different combination on each of them, i have no idea if downgrading from PS 1.7 to 1.6 would solve my problem but i doubt. Its not a problem to add 2-3 different combinations, but 5-6 of them is impossible. So how can i solve this without buying a 300 Euro module ? If this is impossible maybe Prestashop is not for me.. i doubt any other e-commerce handle this amount of attributes.. ?  

Hi,

I did the same as described by Frederico. But I have another issue - the price isn't changed when I choose options. It seems like the code that changes the prices doesn't call. Can anyone help me to find what the code needs to be called when the attribute is changed? Is it a javascript function?

Thanks.

• 8 months later...

Hi guys,

As I understand on this issue, you want to set a default price per attribute. As I recall on ps v1.6 I don't think those functionalities is already there. But to further the discussion, it seems like you need to create modules that manipulate the data structure of ps_attribute and add new column for default price then override the adminproductcontroller that allow ps to recalculate the impact price per attributes combination. Using these method you will be allow to manipulate the impact price of product combination but if changes happens on the attribute default price the previous created product with combination will not be affected except when you update it.

Best,

Mark Anthony Morales