Multi-Store or Multi-country in the same store?

alvaranz

Hi Presties! 

We are new to PrestaShop but very much impressed with its community and product capabilities so we are looking to make a move and built our site on Prestashop. We were also looking around to Shopify and others but after quite a bit of research the community and add-ons of prestashop have very much convinced us to move fwd with PS! :)

We are building a virtual product store where we resell our suppliers' virtual products in different countries. Now.. the main challenge is that the same virtual product can have a different price in $ or £ or € depending if our customer is buying from our supplier UK, US or Spain for example. ( this pretty much depends on our customer location)

For example a virtual product purchased from one of our UK customers could be £199 where purchased from one of our US customers could be $299. Our suppliers put these prices based on their global policies and we just need to follow thru.

We have been exploring a bit prestashop and its capabilities on this front but we are still not very clear if the best approach would be to set up multi-stores that our visitors can select depending on their country and then they get all stuff, prices etc associated to multi-stores or if by contrast we could set up just 1 store and link somehow what are the prices associated a store language or order country?

If someone has come across this issue before and could give us a quick hint on what would be the best approach that would be much appreciated!

Kind Regards

Julio

• Like 1

Hi Julio and welcome to the community.

I retired in 2001 and started with PS in 2009ish.  One of the things I loved about PS  is it's 'by country' catalog configurations and to brag a bit I have the most modules dev for geo loctaion, on the planet for 'any' cms. :)

For 'by country' pricing, you start with catalog-->products-->edit a product-->prices-->add 'specific price' 

Then one can enable native PS geo location to resolve ip to a country which would present your 'by country' prices.  Now here is caveat, native PS geo locataion, when IP not resolve disallows visitor to shop and/or see your shop.  Also the 'free maxmind' ip look up table is 'best case' only 85% accurate.  I have solved this years ago with my Geo Targeting Pro module that allows you to set default country for non-reslolved ips so they can shop but also supports 2 maxmind (affordable) commercial databases that  are significantly more accurate.  

Learn more about Geo Targeting Pro

Learn more about PrestaHeros Geo Location solutions

Note: if  all all products/content is same 'by country' and you  would like to leverage ccTLD's (.fr/.de/.et) then see my Geo Location MultiShop Pro module.  

I am also available here for advice and provide private support (for such things as charming price endings by currency)

Happy selling, el

Edited by El Patron (see edit history)

Hi Julio and welcome to the community.

I retired in 2001 and started with PS in 2009ish.  One of the things I loved about PS  is it's 'by country' catalog configurations and to brag a bit I have the most modules dev for geo loctaion, on the planet for 'any' cms. :)

For 'by country' pricing, you start with catalog-->products-->edit a product-->prices-->add 'specific price' 

Then one can enable native PS geo location to resolve ip to a country which would present your 'by country' prices.  Now here is caveat, native PS geo locataion, when IP not resolve disallows visitor to shop and/or see your shop.  Also the 'free maxmind' ip look up table is 'best case' only 85% accurate.  I have solved this years ago with my Geo Targeting Pro module that allows you to set default country for non-reslolved ips so they can shop but also supports 2 maxmind (affordable) commercial databases that  are significantly more accurate.  

Learn more about Geo Targeting Pro

Learn more about PrestaHeros Geo Location solutions

Note: if  all all products/content is same 'by country' and you  would like to leverage ccTLD's (.fr/.de/.et) then see my Geo Location MultiShop Pro module.  

I am also available here for advice and provide private support (for such things as charming price endings by currency)

Happy selling, el

Hi El Patron,

Many thanks for your warm welcome and the info. 

Your modules look very interesting and definitely will explore using one or more of them. First of all I would like to understand if I could achieve this with existing functionality/configuration without touching the code or adding any extra modules, and if not then which of your modules would exactly help accomplish that.

The specific requirements that I have are as follows;

1. The same virtual product should have a "different price qty" and "different currency" depending where the user is accessing the website from;

2. Some virtual products are not available for users from specific countries

Could I configure the PS logic as follow with out of the box features?

1.PS Check IP; then if country XYZ it should only show these virtual goods.

2.PS Chek IP; then if country XYZ it should show price qty XYZ and this should be the currency.

Many thanks again!

Julio

Hi El Patron,

Many thanks for your warm welcome and the info. 

Your modules look very interesting and definitely will explore using one or more of them. First of all I would like to understand if I could achieve this with existing functionality/configuration without touching the code or adding any extra modules, and if not then which of your modules would exactly help accomplish that.

The specific requirements that I have are as follows;

1. The same virtual product should have a "different price qty" (price is fine but if you have qty (for virtual) then you may need to use a multishop where you can control qty by domain, that is a lot of overhead and admin, and "different currency" depending where the user is accessing the website from;  that can be supported using geo location (remember non-resolve issue) and setting default currency in localzation-->countries-->edit country-->set default currency.

2. Some virtual products are not available for users from specific countries

native prestashop single shop does not support this, there may be 3rd party module to support, search prestashop module product by country

Could I configure the PS logic as follow with out of the box features?

1.PS Check IP; then if country XYZ it should only show these virtual goods. see above

2.PS Chek IP; then if country XYZ it should show price qty XYZ and this should be the currency. see above

Many thanks again!

Julio

I provided my best advice above in red.