Remove free shipping carrier if another product is in the cart

Hello,

I have an issue and I can't fix it. I sell in my store electronic licenses (not virtual products) and also standard physical products with shipping. Electronic licenses are delivered to client by email and I created a carrier called "electronic license", set a weight scale from 0.01 to 0.05 and set the weight of 0.025 to respective products. When you order one product, it works nice and everything is fine.

The problem is, when a customer adds more products to his cart - a mixture of electronic license products and physical products with real shipping (another 3 carriers with paid shipping). In this case, the customer can choose between free shipping (for electronic license) and paid shipping (for physical products). Of course he will choose the free shipping and I will loose on shipping.

Is there a way to block free shipping (or the electronic license carrier) if in the cart is another physical product? What I would like to achieve is that in the case above, only the paid shipping will be an option.

Any help? Thanks!

Hello,

Problem solved :-)

The problem was caused by shipping settings. Physical product was assigned to physical paid shipping services only and software electronic license was set only to electronic license shipping only. In this case, the customer had two products in the shopping cart and the shipping services were not overlapping - e.g. Prestashop could not send this order by one carrier. So I suppose therefore it was showing both shipping options/carries.

And there was another problem - this type of orders with different carriers were also divided into two orders. One order had the physical product with paid physical shipping service and the second order had the software license with free electronic license delivery.

Now when I set the physical carriers to physical products and leave all carriers to software licenses, it works like I needed in the shopping cart. And also the customer gets one order for all products. I will test it more in the upcoming days but I think it works and the problem was solved with shipping/carrier settings.

It is nice when I can answer my own questions ...hope it will help also others :-)

• 4 years later...

Do you offer free shipping above a certain amount? I do on my site....but I run into the same problem as you. When a customer orders a gift card (delivered by email so there is no shipping charge), then they order a number of physical products that should have the shipping charge, the price of the virtual products is added to the total price and triggering free shipping when it shouldn't:

For example:

The free shipping limit is $249. A customer ordered $600 in Gift Cards. Then ordered a single product for $3.95. The cart total was $603.95 triggering the free shipping. The shipping charge should have been $9.75. As it is... it actually costs just over $10 to ship this product due to length. So, I ended up losing almost $6 because I had to pay for the entire shipping bill myself...NET LOSS on the sale!

I talked to my module developer for my checkout module and they want me to pay for a custom change to prestashop core files! There has to be a module out there that can fix this problem!! If anyone has any ideas, please please give me your ideas!!!

-Scott

Hi, we don't recommend assigning a carrier at product level.  We have done also custom work to solve various similar issues.

If you cannot fix yourself at least you have someone in-house you can pay.  

You would need a free shopping module that works for  specific products, I found none work last rime I checked so we did custom.

I recommend never assigning carrier to product, very difficult to manage and leads to unpredictable results.