Quantity in a "pack"? WTF

I just started to use the "pack" feature.
But since I have to enter the quantity, it's really not that useful.
In one case, I have five books and a answerbook in a series, it's possible to order just one volume, but if a customer buys the whole set s/he gets a better price.
I have two copies of each volume in stock, and if I understand things correct the best I can do is to enter 1 as quantity for each of them and 1 for the pack.
For less popular books series I only have one copy in stock, and so I cannot use the "pack" feature for those (or take the risk that someone buys eg number 1 and someone else the whole pack before I get the chance to update?

Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

Edit: PS 1.2.4

/Mats

Ok, I found a couple of other posts about this issue. No answers or workarounds though.
This is a pretty serious problem actually, for me, apart from the book series, I sell games. Typically a Board, Pieces and Bowls, that comes in different qualities and to make "packs" of ready to use sets would be quite interesting.
However, handelling the stock levels manually is just... stupid, I mean what the hell do we use a computer program for anyways!

Is this issue by any chance resolved in a later version? Or are there any plans to fix it?
Or could it be fixed with a hack?

/Mats