[HELP] about tracking number

Hi all,

I've created a tracking number for an order. The user got an email containing a URL that points to the carrier tracking system. Also, this URL appears on the order history page.

My questions are:

[1] Where can the customer find the tracking number for an order?

[2] Is it possible to send the tracking number in the email along with the carrier URL?

Any help or tip is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

To your first question, I don't have a real answer... we are still building our site so I have no orders (that use tracking numbers) to reference to, so I can't give a tried and true answer, but my best guess is the shipping number would be under the shipping information. Just a guess, somebody else probably knows better. However, you could always edit the invoice template to include the {shipping_number} tag.

To your second question... are you trying to enter a separate link within the "in_transit" mail template that points to your carrier? To add a separate line for the tracking number to this template you can use the Mail Template Editor module or edit mails/en/in_transit.html. For the latter method, use this line of code:

Your tracking number is: {shipping_number}

I added mine to line 34 but you can place it wherever you want your tracking number to appear.

If you wanted to input another line below (or above) the tracking number that also points to your carrier's main URL you can edit the same email template (in_transit.html) using the {carrier} tag. The only problem that I see with this is if you have multiple carriers I don't think you could href to different urls without first finding a way to associate different links with the different carriers.

You may want to try this out but I'm not sure if the tag will work on this one. If you have one carrier you can subsitute the tag to point to one pre-defined url... such as but even though the {carrier} tag may change names it will always point to ups.com.

Your carrier URL is: {carrier}

I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people on this forum that can give some insight... I hope this helps in some way.

• 1 month later...

Have I missed something with the shipping number here as I put that line of code to show the tracking number and all the mail said was:

Your tracking number is: {shipping_number}

It didn't put the tracking number in the mail just the tag.

darren,

Sorry! I actually forgot to include a very important step for this to work... I didn't come up with this solution, but rather copied it from another post. Here it is... the first part to this solution is near the middle of this thread.

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/viewthread/38400/general_discussion/solved_can_a_tracking_number_be_added_to_an_mailalerts

HTH!

• 2 months later...

If you continue to have this problem, I would try using another program that does all the work for you for tracking numbers. In this day and age, time is valuable and so using a program like Mailware could help you have more of an advantage against your competitor. What it does is it automatically takes your orders and then sends out all the information your customer needs including tracking numbers. Go ahead and click on tracking numbers and it should send you right to the information page. In addition, there is a free trial mode for Mailware so you don't have to purchase it immediately. If it works for you, I'd definitely buy it since it does help my company be more efficient. Let me know if you try it and if it works for you or not. I've been recommending this product to a few people and have had more of a positive view on it.