Product Importing - new function needed. Monetary compensation possible

Hi all,

I have a need to be able to import information on a product currently in my inventory, and overwrite and/or add to it. I have no programming skills, and my code writing co-workers are already overwhelmed with their own tasks for the company.

I have a need to re-import images, text, manufacturer, supplier information, etc., and be able to assign it to the correct product by ID at a later date.

For example: Today I import 100 products, in several different categories. Each is imported with minimal information, and only identified uniquely by our SKU number (I import that into PrestaShop under "ID", currently)

At a later date: Add to the product - possibly additional images, more text, manufacturer information (add or change a manufacturer with overwrite) etc.

I don't have a large budget, but my boss did suggest it, and I'd be happy to discuss paying someone that could write a simple interface to do this in PrestaShop.

If you can do this and are interested in taking a crack at the task, let me know. Feel free to PM for email and telephone contact information.

Thanks,
Angie

Kevin,

Thanks for that, but I actually have several thousand products to enter and edit. I'm using PrestaShop for a very large supplier's inventory, and some of the future changes will involve 100s of products at a time, as we may change suppliers, manufacturers, products, or images several times a year. While editing is very easy in back office, it would take months to do them one at a time.

This is why I am willing to compensate someone who could write a function that would over-write or add to the existing products.

I understand PrestaShop ver 1.1 will have an image URL import, and while I'm not exactly sure how that might work, any import that gets me images in any form will be more than welcome.

Just to give you an idea of the scope, I have 760+ products that already exist on the site this company has up now (that I'm duplicating before we go live with our PrestaShop). I also have a data CD from a new supplier that has 6,870+ more products, with a different numbered image for each product.

I'm old enough that I'm closing on years when I can order off the senior citizen's menu when I dine out, and with the editing of products one-at-a-time as it is now, I'll most likely be forced into retirement before I can put them all in the first time. :gulp:

Angie

Unfortunately I'm currently over-committed as it is with work and family, but I can at least offer some suggestions :-)

How proficient are you at sql? A nice easy way of kludging this for now (except for the images as they are a very special case in PrestaShop):

1) I'm assuming you have all the data in a spreadsheet/CSV file or can get it into that form
2) In phpMyadmin create a table that matches the properties of the fields in your CSV file
3) Import you csv file into this table (for subsequent loads you should truncate the existing table first, or update)
4) Write a few sql queries to copy the data from your "spreadsheet" table to the actual PrestaShop tables

To do 4 you'll need to go easter egging in the PrestaShop databse to work out which bits of information go where, and also work out the table joins required to get to some of the required records.

Once you have the sql, it's then just a matter of updating the "spreadsheet" table and executing the code to perform all the necessary updates; all from within phpMyAdmin.

Paul