(v. 1.5.6.2) Disabled Friendly URL but...

PrestaToys

I know it's an old version, but was thinking of moving to 1.6 but now I want to wait for 1.7

I recently turned off Friendly Url so that I could my PS homepage would be mydomain.com/index.php (a long story)

But now my sitemap generation keeps creating product and category pages with the friendly URL's. And when I look at Product and Category pages in backend, the Friendly URL fields are still filled out.

When I try to delete the contents of the friendly URl field and save the Product (or Category) I get the following message...

The field friendly URL is required at least in English (English).

This, of course, is a nightmare!!!

1. Is there a trick to turning off friendly URL's?

2. Do I need to do something with the Layered navigation Module?  (as there is a "Build URL Index" button)

3.  Do I need to go into my database and remove the friendly URL's or change some indicator on my Products and Categories?

Any help, any clues would be much appreciated as my sitemap file is using the Friendly URL's, not the "unfriendly" ones... and of course my pages are ranking poorly and people are seeing the wrong pages and getting 404 errors

Kinda sucks!!! Please help!

Can anyone help?  Bad page links all over google...

I know it's an old version, but was thinking of moving to 1.6 but now I want to wait for 1.7

I recently turned off Friendly Url so that I could my PS homepage would be mydomain.com/index.php (a long story)

But now my sitemap generation keeps creating product and category pages with the friendly URL's. And when I look at Product and Category pages in backend, the Friendly URL fields are still filled out.

When I try to delete the contents of the friendly URl field and save the Product (or Category) I get the following message...

The field friendly URL is required at least in English (English).

This, of course, is a nightmare!!!

1. Is there a trick to turning off friendly URL's?

2. Do I need to do something with the Layered navigation Module?  (as there is a "Build URL Index" button)

3.  Do I need to go into my database and remove the friendly URL's or change some indicator on my Products and Categories?

Any help, any clues would be much appreciated as my sitemap file is using the Friendly URL's, not the "unfriendly" ones... and of course my pages are ranking poorly and people are seeing the wrong pages and getting 404 errors

Kinda sucks!!! Please help!