Image Sizes

I wonder if anyone can explain the whole image size options in prestashop?

Ive search the net with no joy. There are plenty of pages that state the obvious but I can't find an explanation of where the various thumbnails with all the code names actually appear?

The 'names' of each image preference like 'ph_manu' give no clue where this shows, and its the same for most.

I figured out by testing that 'category_default' is the image that appears at the top of each category when you upload into 'Category Cover Image', but there really should be an explanatory chart or text to explain this detail.

The other puzzle is if the image size pref is called ''category_default' why does this setting then have 5 other settings for 

Products
Categories
Manufacturers
Suppliers
Stores

It's just all very confusing?

I have 17 image names by default, and with the 5 other variants thats 85 possible images for one product. I cant imagine where on a site template you need that many images!
  • Like 1

It all depends on your theme. The deafult theme does not have that many image types, but only:

- cart default (small images displayed in cart)

- small default (small images for left column)

- home default (displayed on product lists)

- large default (displayed on product page)

- thickbox default (large image for thickbox gallery)

- category default (for category thumbnails)

There is also medium, scene and thumb, but rather not used. If you have more than you should ask your theme developer why, and maybe you can turn off some of the default ones, maybe your theme is not using them.

• Like 2

Sorry forgot to also ask, there is a preference for 'Maximum file size of product customization pictures' in the box below the image size preferences.

Does this override any of the other preferences or is the changing the image that was uploaded when the product was first added?

When you upload an image, a set of thumbnails gest created by Prestashop. So the other settings tell Prestashop what thumbnails to create. So if you activate all, when you upload an image for the product, you'll get a set of images (cart, small, medium, large etc.). But for category, not all of those thumbnails are in use, so you can set which types Prestashop generates.

As for the customization - this is to set what maximum file size a customer can upload when customizing a product. If you sell for example cups with print, you can allow your customer to upload their images.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...