[SOLVED] BlockCategories Module - Categories not displaying

Prior to moving 2 additional blocks from the center column to the left column (I want all my blocks in the left column), the categories WERE displaying in my categories block module.

After I moved the last 2 blocks from the center column to the left column, my categories block no longer displays the categories; it is blank.

98819273.jpg

Any ideas how to get my categories to display again?

*EDIT*
From what info I've been able to gather through searching, it sounds like this problem often results from mistakes in the database and its ID numbers. I still have no idea what is wrong exactly, and what needs to be done to correct it though.

Seems like this is the same situation as mine; only problem is that I'm not quite sure what I'm doing when editing the SQL database. I'd hate to screw that up :/

*EDIT 2*
Ok, so I think I might have it figured out; just not sure what value I need to enter to fix the problem.
After Prestashop installed, there was a main category (category id = 1) that I deleted, and then created my own. In the SQL database, all of the categories have an "id_parent" value of "1" (the deleted category). I'm assuming this is why nothing is showing up.

So, what do I need to change the "id_parent" value to, to make everything appear again? There is no higher parent as these categories are my main categories. Should I try leaving the values empty and see what that does?

*EDIT 3*
In an attempt to tidy up the database, I deleted the category with the id of "1", since I deleted it in the back office. Well, after doing this, I could no longer view my catalog from the prestashop back office. After some messing around, I successfully re-created the category "1", and now I can view my catalog from the back office again. However, I'm back to square 1, and now I'm still trying to get the categories to show up in the category block.

*EDIT 4*
After referring to this thread, I followed rocky's post:

What happens when you go to Modules > Categories block > Configure and change Dynamic to X then click Save? Do the categories appear or are they still not there?

and it got my categories to display again. However, I am going to have many categories with many subcategories, so the Dynamic will need to be enabled to keep the layout clean & tidy.

So, with Dynamic categories enabled the block is empty, but with Dynamic categories disabled the block displays correctly.

Any idea on how to fix this? If more info is needed, I am more the willing to post more screenshots. I'm posting as much info as possible in hopes that I'm coming closer to a solution.

Just found another very similar situation, except mine is occurring all the time and not just "sometimes."

24045_qpk3kuKOqWt9RfvNNLC7_t

24101_WDn7nb3B3Kabp4yVf8MG_t

If the categories appear when you disable "Dynamic", then it is likely that it is a Javascript error that is preventing the category from displaying. You should check the bottom-left corner in IE for "Done, but with errors". If it does say that, click on the icon to see the Javascript errors.

Finally! Thank you rocky!

Ok so for anyone else with this problem... here is what I did:

I took the error message from above ("Object doesn't support this property or method") and googled "prestashop object doesn't support this property or method"

This search led me to this thread, in which another guy was getting the same error as me. In that thread, rocky suggested that the Quick Search block module needed to be transplanted into the Header of pages from the back office. As rocky pointed out in that thread, the "header" does not mean the top of the page, it just means somewhere within the <head> </head> tags. This is what confused; I assumed that "header" meant top of page, and that was why I had originally removed the Quick Search module from the "Header" section. Once I transplanted the Quick Search module into the "Header" section in the Back Office, everything was fixed.

Hope this helps anyone else having this issue. Thanks again rocky!

• 3 months later...

thank you ! it took me forever to figure out how to get the search block in the *header* area on a new template I'm trying then I couldn't figure out why the categories disappeared (on every single template I tried, too).

I thought a file was corrupted and had tried re-uploading everything involved including js.

thank you so much. shoo, what a relief.