Different delivery method for 1 category?

parnison

We are planning on using a single carrier for delivery next day at £4.95 for any size and weight.

We have 1 category which is reptile live food that the courier will not take and pricing needs to be different for.

Is it possible to add a second courier that will only become available if a product from a specific category is available.

What complicates matters is if a customer chooses an item from category 1 and an item from the live food category then we would need to charge both shipping fees.

An alternative would be to only allow live food to be purchased on its own with a message popping up stating that if a product is already in the cart from another category or one is subsequently added. Would this solution be viable?

Why cant it just be simple, build cart, add products and sell?

HI, yes I see the difficulty in configuring native ps shipping for your purpose without custom code. 

native configuration would be assigning only the carrier that will ship your product, catalog-->products-->edit product-->shipping-->select only the carrier that you want for this product.  Each product would need this done and I don't know if there are a lot or if you use .csv to manage. 

This module may prove interesting as well, but I have no experience with it.

http://addons.prestashop.com/en/19169-carriers-by-category.html