I have a few items that I have added to my site that are as described below:

The item has two combinations:

First combination:

Attribute: Color:  Brown

Attribute: Bow:  Chevron

Second combination:

Attribute: Color:  Beige

Attribute: Bow:  Gold

The issue is that when I am on the front-end, if I default to the first combination, when I click on the color: beige, I get the message, "This combination does not exist for this product. Please select another combination.".  I understand that it's telling me that there is no combination for Color: Beige, Bow: Chevron.  I don't have an issue with that.

My question is, did I set something up wrong?  Or does the product not automatically pick the matching bow when I click on the second combination color?  If it doesn't do this, has anyone found a way to make this work?  I am not really interested in going into the code that writes the page and studying it so I can come up with the long route solution, if I don't have to.  This will only break when the site gets updated anyway.  If I have to, I will.   :)

Thanks for any help!

Preferences > Products > Allow ordering of out-of stock products was and is still set to no.

Both products have a quantity.

I think this may be how the product is supposed to behave.  It's just not the desired behavior that I expected.

The issue is that the two items that are in the combination are opposite of each other in a way.  One is Beige w/ Gold bow and the other is Brown w/Chevron bow.  The issue is that when you are on the Beige w/ Gold bow and click the Brown item, I expect it to automatically toggle to the Chevron bow but, it doesn't.  It simply stays on the Gold bow and states that the combination does not exist for this product.

Like I say, I may be expecting something that it doesn't do.  I was just hoping that I overlooked something.  Maybe a programmable switch or something.  :)

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm sorry but if you have it set up correctly is will shift and not display that message. The ONLY thing that I know that will cause this is that the quantity is set to zero.

>>Preferences > Products > Allow ordering of out-of stock products was and is still set to no.

Did you try setting it to yes? 

Can you post a link?

I have turned on the feature to show the quantity so that you can see that there is quantities for both products.

https://thegraysun.com/home-accents/10-welcome-to-the-nut-house-chipboard-sign.html

Once you open the page, click the color brown.

At this point, it will give you the error because there isn't a brown item with a gold bow.  The brown item has a chevron bow.

Edited by JayGrayson (see edit history)

Thank you for the link. 

You have 80 beige with gold bow items 

You have zero beige with chevron bow items 

You have 80 brown with Chevron bow items

You have zero brown with Gold bow items

Point is, you have either not created the zero items or you have created them but the quantity is zero.

If the two color attributes are not available with all the bow attributes you are correct this will be the result.

You can create two versions of the product, that's what I do with my products because it is less confusing for the customer. Or you can use a module such as http://addons.prestashop.com/en/14160-filterattribute-declination-and-attribute-in-stock.html

• Like 1

That is correct.  Thanks for being patient with me.  I am a long time PHP, JQuery, AJAX, etc developer.  I have mainly developed custom sites (hand driven), Joomla, Drupal & WordPress.  I have no experience with PrestaShop until now.  I appreciate the information.  I am sure that I can develop a plugin for something as simple as what I am wanting it to do.  The link to the plugin that you sent doesn't seem worth the $$$.  :)  I am off to split the items for the time being.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

I surely will. Well, if I ever get around to doing it. I spend most of my time programming web sites for work so, I'm not usually in the mood to write more when I get home. Haha. I finally got this website up because my [spam-filter] has been bugging me for weeks about it. If I get around to creating a plugin, I'll definitely share it. The problem is that CMS's & similar products are forever evolving and I don't have time to constantly update the plugin. I suppose since the site will be public, it will need to be periodically updated. I'll see what I can do. :)

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Personally I'm not a programmer. I'm a merchant. I'm using PS 1.5.6.3

I plan to skip PS 6x and will need to see what happens with PS 7x before I decide if it will be the way forward.  At this point I see PS 1,7 as something that has no upgrade path. To me that means it should be called PS 2.0.

That said, I think the powers at the top think that because they will still be using some smarty and only in some areas using Symfony Framework, along with its Twig template engine, I think they justify the PS 7 rather than calling it PS 2.0 because the plan will be to gradually move fully into that latter framework.

I'll want to see how this unfolds, and I'll look toward either PS 1.8 or even wait it out all the way to PS 2.0

In the meantime PS 1.5.6.3 combined with Google's pagespeed server side modules and a page html cache on a dedicated server does the job just fine. Add to that a little help from my friends and I get by very well. :)

You must have some serious traffic to be hosting on a dedicated server.   :)   The hosting that I am currently messing with is on SiteGround.  They have PageSpeed built into their servers along with some other caching software.  Which ironically, I just found out was messing with the PS site that I was developing.  LOL  It was holding cache although I cleared the cache in PS.  I noticed when I was uploading the file that it was storing to a different directory than I had assumed it would go to.  Instead of /home/myhostingname/public_blaablaa/directoryoffile/file.css it was storing to a cache directory for some reason.  I cleared the webhost cache and it worked.  Weird.

One of the bad things about websites is that they are constantly changing the frameworks.  This is necessary to accommodate the changes in the web.  There are tons of different JS variations and JQuery variations now.  The intro of the new PHP, etc also causes issues with frameworks.  They have to update the framework to support the new PHP version, etc.  Web design is never ending, even with a few websites.  HA

Yes, and the endless hype and buzzwords. Two years ago HTML5 was going to be all we would need.

It was going to even replace Flash.

It became cool to use Ruby over PHP basically because if Google programmers use it it must be cool. But the stack that won is PHP and mySQL. Even Microsoft came around to that.

So the fact that PS is choosing to move to the Symfony Framework is the right move. To me it is the most forward looking PHP platform that will continue to help move PHP forward. I also love the fact that Twig got its start by Fabien Potencier, the creator of the Symfony framework. So Twig is a template engine that allows extensions to PHP needed for professional template creation and operation and complies the template code into standard PHP.

So I do support the current direction and hope it moves along as fast as possible to a full implementation of the Symfony Framework. I think/guess that will be PS 2.0