Glacial Performance in PretaShop and Error Messages

Hello everyone, 

PretaShop Download Version 1.6.0.14

My website http://spanlinkintl.com/en/ runs fine front-facing. Performance is decent and I have no problems there. 

But, when using PretaShop to try and configure the site from the backend, I get very very poor performance. The site takes approx. 10 to 14 seconds to load up and then the dashboard elements take another few seconds to present data. Clicking into different areas of pretashop take about six to 8 seconds to load.

I get error messages at random times when moving through the different pages in PretaShop, but I get them almost 100% of time when using certain functions like trying to open up the modules page or indiviudal modules and when I try to save changes I've made to my product catalog The error message reads thusly:

Link to database cannot be established: SQLSTATE[42000] [1203] User spintl already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections

The bold part of the above error message appears to be different at odd moments.

I made some small changes to the site in the performance tab and in the database, but this performance seems to have happened days/weeks after those small changes. Still, if anyone can shed some insight I can go further into what changes I made. Also, would it help to provide a screenshot of my config page or would that not be security-concious? 

Thanks so much,

--John

Thank you for your response, Rocky. The thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that even though several people have access to PretaShop, I should be the only one making changes. I know for a fact that other than one person, the other people do not even know how to access PretaShop's back end (or have forgotten). Do you think I still should speak to my provider about increasing the connections or is it strange that witho nly one person accessing the site performance has taken such a hit?