migrating from one host to another

WGclayologie

no official guide is available because there is no universal solution. hosters can use different software to manage accounts so it depends on environment.

simply saying:

- copy all files to new server

- set the proper permissions of new files

- export database from old server

- import database to new server

- if necessary change credentials to database in config/settings.inc.php file

Hi Vekia

thank you for your reply. I am new to prestashop and web design. I bought an existing business. i can leave the live shop as is for a while still.

my feedback on your points:

- copy all files to new server - I made a back-up of the home files, these were unzipped onto the new server at the new host. 

- set the proper permissions of new files. - could you explain what has to be done here, and how, please. NBi cannot actually open the new shop at present, as it redirects me immediately to the old host/domain. my plan is (in the live shop) to switch "friendly URL" from yes to no and change "redirect to canonical URL" to "no redirects" in the preferences; SEO & URLs; set up URLs. then i would make a new backup and use that for the imported copy at the new host. will that work? Or, is there any way to remove all the redirects in the copy without being able to open it in back office mode due to existing embedded URL redirects?  FYI, URL structure is: old domain <domain_abcde>.com; new domain is not live or transferred yet and is accessed via 

<domain_abcde>.com.<new_server_name>.net  (I am too scared to change the live shop's URL to <domain_abcde>.com.<new_server_name>.net before making the new backup as i might get locked out of the live shop, and that would be a total disaster!

- export database from old server - i also backed up the 3 SQL databases (2 very small, one much larger). 

- import database to new server - only the large one was unzipped and "linked" to the shop. this was done by somebody at the new host company as a favour. i don't know what he did. how do I know if the other 2 databases must be linked and how do I link them?

- if necessary change credentials to database in config/settings.inc.php file - at present, i can't open the copied shop due to redirects. if my redirect removal plan works, and i can get into back office - how would i change these settings, or can the changed manually. is this what the chap at my host did to link the database?

if you have read this far, I thank you! .... Would you be able to support me as a consultant?

Edited by WGclayologie (see edit history)