Module Updates

obewanz

Just a beef I want to get off my chest... It would REALLY be nice if I could see what is going to be changed in a module update BEFORE I agree to the update. The problem with prestashop is that no matter the version (I started trying to use it with version 1.5) any update you do presents a very high degree of probability that it will break something on your site.

After countless hundreds (or maybe more) of hours trying to get everything to work, and numerous versions, I finally have a site (with the help of sunnytoo and their Panda theme) that actually works with no known bugs except the customer loyalty module. As a result, I am fearful of upgrading or updating ANYTHING on the site. Before anyone goes to the "you should have a dev or beta site" response, I have one, but just because something works there, doesn't always mean that it will work on the production site the same way - don't ask me why, but months were spent trying to make both sites identical twins, yet there have been occasions that something worked on the test site, but either broke or did not work on the production site. The answer is always to roll back to the last know good backup, which sort of defeats the whole purpose of the test site if you ask me.

So to summarize the point;

Prestashop should require ALL modules to provide a changelog or some other summary of what has been changed in the module, before they post it in their update system, and maybe add something to the backoffice where you can click to see this information before you decide to allow or do the update. Because this is a platform that just epitomizes the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"... Just a thought folks.

I certainly hope so rocky, but it will likely be quite a while before I would even consider upgrading to 1.7... I don't mind being at the front of technology - so long as it works, but I certainly have no desire to be at the bleeding edge where I am constantly hemorrhaging green just to keep it alive.