Best way to setup Royal Mail shipping?

jkility

Hi all,

First of all, I've been looking at several different eCommerce scripts and have found them all equally confusing (PrestaShop including), and I'm an IT Engineer! I've chosen PrestaShop for numerous reasons but I've hit a brick wall at the moment.

I'm still in the VERY early stages of setting up the shop etc and wanted to see how the deal was with setting up shipping etc. I am setting this shop up as we are looking to sell Fudge to help raise money for my mums MS treatment abroad (We are selling fudge as a fundraising method).

The fudge we sell will majority of the time be sent via Royal Mail. Now the problem I have is, what is the best way to setup the shipping process? I've searched the forum a few times and a few people have mentioned Royal Mail but the threads have been 2+ years old and their haven't really been any solutions.

Our fudge will be sent in 5cmx5cmx5cm boxes (This class's as a small parcel with Royal Mail). Depending on the weight of the boxes depends how much it  (0g > 1KG = £3.95 , 1KG > 2KG = £5.50). Our products will eventually have weights on  them so for example each bag weigh's 250g. Would it be possible to do the following, 3 bags of fudge are charged at £3.95 (3x250g = 750g so less than 1KG) and if someone ordered 6 bags of fudge be charged at £5.50 (6x250g = 1.5KG). And if so, how would the best way be about going around that as from what I can see it is quite difficult and if we cant get the shipping sorted then we cant use PrestaShop.

I know there is a few modules but nothing seems to be exactly what we are looking for and that is free (We are effectively a charity therefore cannot afford to be paying £80+ for a module etc)

Apologies for rambling on a bit.

Thanks in advance!

• 5 years later...

I know this is a VERY old topic, but I have the same question. What are the options for UK domestic postage? It stresses in the help file that you should preferably download a module for carriers but I can't find basic services in the UK neither Royal Mail or small couriers like Hermes. Anyone?

Hi again. Assuming there is no module for UK 's domestic mail service Royal Mail, is there any problem with creating the carrier from scratch by adding it in. Are there any implications? or integration I would be missing? many thanks

4 hours ago, Bri-an said:

Hi again. Assuming there is no module for UK 's domestic mail service Royal Mail, is there any problem with creating the carrier from scratch by adding it in. Are there any implications? or integration I would be missing? many thanks

Hi there are several module on addons that support Royal Mail, I recommend using 3rd party platform like shipstation or easypost that integrate with PS.  There you can print shipping labels, which updates ps to shipped etc.  The approach will also help you offer other shipping options more easily.

You can of course manually add royal mail carrier and configure costs.

my search

some of the results

https://addons.prestashop.com/en/preparation-shipping/21273-easy-post-pro-dhl-gls-dpd-colissimo-royalmail-etc.html#specifications

https://addons.prestashop.com/en/preparation-shipping/20563-royal-mail-label.html
https://www.shippypro.com/en/prestashop-royalmail-integration/ 

Hi there, thank you for your reply. Getting a label printed isn't my main concern. I just really need to know first what is required to get ps to work?

I'm coming from being an ebay seller to prestashop. Currently I use one shipping type for all sales and each item has a specified shipping price set by me per item.

I assume I can get a list of addresses to print on a sheet of labels from the days order list?

Then later it might be useful to integrate ps with Royal Mail Click and Drop, but I already an getting a feeling this might be asking a bit too much, so first I just want to know will the site work ok if I enter my own entry for Royal Mail in the absence of a free to use solution?

7 minutes ago, Bri-an said:

Hi there, thank you for your reply. Getting a label printed isn't my main concern. I just really need to know first what is required to get ps to work?

I'm coming from being an ebay seller to prestashop. Currently I use one shipping type for all sales and each item has a specified shipping price set by me per item.

I assume I can get a list of addresses to print on a sheet of labels from the days order list?

Then later it might be useful to integrate ps with Royal Mail Click and Drop, but I already an getting a feeling this might be asking a bit too much, so first I just want to know will the site work ok if I enter my own entry for Royal Mail in the absence of a free to use solution?

This guide should help you understand how to add carrier manually to PS.

https://doc.prestashop.com/m/mobile.action#page/51184294