Multi language, Multi country, Same domain

danielpolo

Hi all,

I've read maybe all the posts here related with this topic and actually I don't have the best idea of how to proceed. I think I'm not the unique person with trouble actually. I've looked in the main ecommerces and everyone has his "magical recipe".

This is the main scenario:

• We have an strong domain example.com and we don't consider to buy CTLD's for each country.
  • We don't consider to use subdomains. (too many economic resources to build authority in each subdomain)
  • We need an URL structure with subfolders.
  • We are actually selling in all the world and planning to open 2 or 3 different warehouses.
  • We need to be able to show different prices in each country.

With this case in mind, this are my questions:

Option A )

• It's a multistore + multilanguage the best option?
  • In terms of SEO, It will be optimal? Difficult to achieve good positions?
  • Again, in SEO point of view, can be better to use an structure like example.com/es/mx or better for URL level to use example.com/es-mx

Option B )

• Maybe its enough to use a single store and use languages as countries? For example, specifying hreflangs with IETF by country - es-es (Spain), es-mx (Mexico)... And use this to get good positions in Mexico and showing Mexico's price with the native Prestashop function using GeoIP?
  • Can be any problems with duplicate content?

If its not needed, I'm little bit afraid about using multistore it its not necessary needed and in SEO point of view, I prefer to choose the optimal structure now to don't change it FOR YEARS  ;)

Again, I know a CTLD will be the optimal scenario but, our domain is a good EMD with authority and it's imposible to buy more domains to do this.

I hope this can help other people in same situation.

Dani

Edited by danielpolo (see edit history)

ccTLD = 'old way'

We have just release solution for the questions you  might have, your feedback would be valuable to us.

https://etiendas.co/en-us/prestashop-seo-solutions/70-international-seo-url-and-language-detect.html

Hey man, that's just I was looking for :)

What's optimal here? Use multishops? How to prevent here to be duplicate content between for example the US and the GB version?

I see in your website, you are playing with this as LANGUAGES not COUNTRIES. If you can explain little bit more how to implement this, will help a lot.

I will buy this in few days, I'm finishing some other tasks now. Good job with the plugin.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hey man, that's just I was looking for :)

What's optimal here? Use multishops? How to prevent here to be duplicate content between for example the US and the GB version?

I see in your website, you are playing with this as LANGUAGES not COUNTRIES. If you can explain little bit more how to implement this, will help a lot.

I will buy this in few days, I'm finishing some other tasks now. Good job with the plugin.

Thanks!

MultitShop IMHO would not be required because content now is localized but it is not bad idea to use ccTLD's as further signal.  On my website the url's are es-es, so this would localize for spanish/spain.  Note: there would not be duplicated content penalty (like ccTLD) when US/GB used when there is a difference between the two, at this time I do not suggest copying say an en-us and using and en-gb without localizing the en-gb content, i.e. localize that content for gb.

MultitShop IMHO would not be required because content now is localized but it is not bad idea to use ccTLD's as further signal.  On my website the url's are es-es, so this would localize for spanish/spain.  Note: there would not be duplicated content penalty (like ccTLD) when US/GB used when there is a difference between the two, at this time I do not suggest copying say an en-us and using and en-gb without localizing the en-gb content, i.e. localize that content for gb.

thanks! any suggestion to show a popup in the first visit to show all the countries posible?

thanks! any suggestion to show a popup in the first visit to show all the countries posible?

pop up's can be blocked..I hate pop ups lol...we have included the most advanced language detect on the planet, so if you don't go route of ccTLD's and only expanded lang-country(region), they can  select in languages drop down....

pop up's can be blocked..I hate pop ups lol...we have included the most advanced language detect on the planet, so if you don't go route of ccTLD's and only expanded lang-country(region), they can  select in languages drop down....

I'm getting in your website etiendas.co and beeing redirected to en-us... Thats why we are looking for an alternative. In most webpages, doesn't suggest to automatic redirect the user to the "correct" website.

I'm getting in your website etiendas.co and beeing redirected to en-us... Thats why we are looking for an alternative. In most webpages, doesn't suggest to automatic redirect the user to the "correct" website.

if you only have .com, then redirect to ?....note: redirects are 'bad' and idea to redirect to a domain based on some visitor browser is in my opinion a bad idea, SEO does not 'like' redirects and think of scenarios where search engine is indexing, what happens if you redirect it?

if you only have .com, then redirect to ?....note: redirects are 'bad' and idea to redirect to a domain based on some visitor browser is in my opinion a bad idea, SEO does not 'like' redirects and think of scenarios where search engine is indexing, what happens if you redirect it?

I'm currently reading this:

"If you choose to try to guess at the user’s language preference when they enter your site, you can use the browser’s language setting or the IP address and ask the user to confirm the choice. Using JavaScript to do this will ensure that Googlebot does not get confused. Pair this with a good XML sitemap and the user can have a great interaction. Plus, the search engines will be able to crawl and index all of your translated content."

That's extracted from Moz. What your plugin will do when detects I'm in Spain? Will redirect me or what?

Thanks

I'm currently reading this:

"If you choose to try to guess at the user’s language preference when they enter your site, you can use the browser’s language setting or the IP address and ask the user to confirm the choice. Using JavaScript to do this will ensure that Googlebot does not get confused. Pair this with a good XML sitemap and the user can have a great interaction. Plus, the search engines will be able to crawl and index all of your translated content."

That's extracted from Moz. What your plugin will do when detects I'm in Spain? Will redirect me or what?

Thanks

Module does not detect you are from Spain by IP for example, it would detect visitor localization from browser language(s).  The detect logic is from this module.

Here is also example of non-ps usage of this idea: https://azure.microsoft.com

Module does not detect you are from Spain by IP for example, it would detect visitor localization from browser language(s).  The detect logic is from this module.

Hey El Patron,

I had a meeting for 2 hours talking about this with the team. Actually we think its a good idea to use multishop to do this. We are little bit affraid to show different prices by country with the GeoIP solution.

Of course the problem is obvious, you can't target same people in GB than in AU. Maybe we will need some different things in future and the multishop seems to be the most apropiate option.

I tried to install your HREFLANG free module and create shops with virtual directories like this:

example.com/es-es

example.com/en-gb

Your plugin doesn't work as expected. It doesn't put the other shops HREFLANG links (only work if you put languages it in the same shop).

Are we doing anything wrong? What's the correct implementation here?

I hope you can solve this, we are praying to finish this!

Also there is a big problem there. If you install English language and fix en-GB, how do you set the language en-US?

In location settings you only can have a single ISO reference as EN (you can't have 2 English versions).

How you solve this?

Hey El Patron,

I had a meeting for 2 hours talking about this with the team. Actually we think its a good idea to use multishop to do this. We are little bit affraid to show different prices by country with the GeoIP solution.

Of course the problem is obvious, you can't target same people in GB than in AU. Maybe we will need some different things in future and the multishop seems to be the most apropiate option.

I tried to install your HREFLANG free module and create shops with virtual directories like this:

example.com/es-es

example.com/en-gb

Your plugin doesn't work as expected. It doesn't put the other shops HREFLANG links (only work if you put languages it in the same shop).

Are we doing anything wrong? What's the correct implementation here?

I hope you can solve this, we are praying to finish this!

The free plugin works as described by google, it issues hreflang attribute for 'that' shop in header source and not url.

Also there is a big problem there. If you install English language and fix en-GB, how do you set the language en-US?

In location settings you only can have a single ISO reference as EN (you can't have 2 English versions).

How you solve this?

you use visitor language detect to match en-us en-gb, you can  have two en languages but it takes a work around,  search forum for having us/gb language packs.  

noto: the paid interseo module is multishop compliant so works just as well in a cctld environment.  localization is fun and keep up the good research....

• Like 1

The free plugin works as described by google, it issues hreflang attribute for 'that' shop in header source and not url.

you use visitor language detect to match en-us en-gb, you can  have two en languages but it takes a work around,  search forum for having us/gb language packs.  

noto: the paid interseo module is multishop compliant so works just as well in a cctld environment.  localization is fun and keep up the good research....

Ok man, I think I get you. I solved the en-us en-gb problem.

Actually I'm in the hreflang problem here. You are saying your plugin is multishop compliant. But please, correct me if I'm wrong

Current structure working

All the languages are only used in the specific multishop.

• example.com/en-us  (USA) (virtual folder)
  • example.com/en-gb  (UK) (virtual folder)
  • example.com (Spain) (virtual folder on the root)

Your plugin will add HREFLANG in all of them? If I try your free plugin, just add an hreflang tag per shop (that why the code its trying to retrieve the available langs in the current shop). To works, it need to look at a multishop level.

I'm right?

Thanks!

Ok man, I think I get you. I solved the en-us en-gb problem.

Actually I'm in the hreflang problem here. You are saying your plugin is multishop compliant. But please, correct me if I'm wrong

Current structure working

All the languages are only used in the specific multishop.

• example.com/en-us  (USA) (virtual folder)
  • example.com/en-gb  (UK) (virtual folder)
  • example.com (Spain) (virtual folder on the root)

Your plugin will add HREFLANG in all of them? If I try your free plugin, just add an hreflang tag per shop (that why the code its trying to retrieve the available langs in the current shop). To works, it need to look at a multishop level.

I'm right?

Thanks!

It should only issue hreflang for languages of shop (in a multiishop) that are enabled.  It is under review and will update you. thanks

It should only issue hreflang for languages of shop (in a multiishop) that are enabled.  It is under review and will update you. thanks

Great, I hope you can solve it. It will be great to have this working (multishop + unique lang per shop + hreflangs between shops).

Great, I hope you can solve it. It will be great to have this working (multishop + unique lang per shop + hreflangs between shops).

hi, the free module hreflang works perfectly, it provides hreflang for languages of that shop.....you can of course modify the free module to suit your specific needs, though I do not recommend that.  best of luck with your project...el

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I have question relate with this topic. I wonder what is minimum VPS requirement to use 7 language for 50 to 100 product? I want to setup store with multi language and multi URL language. 

I tried an Turbo Share Hosting with A2Hosting and it run not good as my hoping. It take many second to redirect from home page to /en or /zh or another language.