Product Attributes generator broken - no changes to web server

vapecity

Hello,

I have been building my new e-commerce site over the last 2-3 weeks and have been quite happy with Prestashop and its functionality.

For almost all of my products I have used the attributes generator and it has worked quite quickly with the exception of a few that have had a particularly large amount of attributes.

Now... it won't work... at all.

I can even set a colour selection any more.

I was trying to do a more complicated one and now I've tried a really simple one just to test and even 3 attributes from the same tree will simply timeout.

I even extended the timeout period to 1 hour and it will still timeout with a 503 error after an hour.

It has 64GB ram so I tried increasing the php memory limit all the way up to 8GB to test... but no change.

It's the latest version of prestashop.

It's a physical dedicated server and I have root access... so I have restarted mysql, mysqld, php-fpm & httpd... I've restarted the whole machine.

I did have APC installed, I have disabled it in prestashop and removed it from the server to test - no change.

I'm a bit stuck as to where to go next other than to try re-installing the operating system from scratch which I shouldn't have to do.

The server spec is Skylake quad-core Xeon, 64GB memory, NVME SSD.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Edited by vapecity (see edit history)

OK... this is weird... I was doing some more searching and came across a suggestion to disable friendly URLs.

I disabled url rewriting and the problem has gone away... I'm now able to use the attributes generator again without any trouble.

Argh... now it's decided not to function again and is timing out.

Apache log is giving:

[Wed May 04 19:29:35.956388 2016] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 13109] (104)Connection reset by peer: [client 84.75.97.74:19742] AH01075: Error dispatching request to :, referer: http://www.vapecity.ch/adm...ieuu/index.php?controller=AdminProducts&id_product=195&updateproduct&token=269816324...0e95da34f4561

(I changed for this post the strings to remove the complete link and added the ... - that's not a part of the error.