[SOLVED] Categories Block not showing my categories.....

Anyone have any suggestions of what the problem might be? I have 4 or 5 categories setup with subcategories under some. They show fine on the Site Map, but just an empty box on the left-side for the Categories Block. I don'w know if viewing my site would give anyone any ideas of what the problam maybe, but here is the url incase you think it would help.

www.jbsports360.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Anyone have any suggetsions for me? I originally didn't want to go live with the site until this was fixed, but I have been trying to get it to work for a month now and still not showing the categories. The site is live now, but really want this working soon if anyone can help me out. Read several things to try, but none of them did the trick for me.

Howdy. Any chance you deleted the top level category? You need to have a properly populated category tree for everything to work. I believe that Home has to exist for the category browser to properly (at least it gets special treatment in the CSV import module so that is my hunch).

You also need to make sure that the category is set viewable by your customer group.

This should be working for your case:

http://www.jbsports360.com/category.php?id_category=1

It isn't so probably either the first category is missing or the customer group is not allowed to view it.

If you manually deleted stuff from the database using say, phpMyAdmin it is pretty easy to get things out of wack. The stock CSV import module seems a little off as well and can mess up group permissions.

Cheers

Got it working now! Thanks for giving me some direction. It ended up that I was missing the entry for the Home category in the ps_category_group table. Once I inserted that entry in it now shows the categories in the block. Couldn't be happier!

Thanks again!

• 3 months later...

It seems you are using PrestaShop v1.1, a very old version of PrestaShop, which makes it hard to help. Make sure that there is a jquery.pack.js or similar file in the js/jquery directory. Change the link in header.tpl in your theme's directory to jquery.pack.js to the correct filename.

hmmm, it doesn't seem to have helped. the closest file that i have is called jquery-1.2.6.pack.js, so i changed the line in the header.tpl to this:

script type="text/javascript" src="{$base_dir}js/jquery/jquery-1.2.6.pack.js">

is that what you meant? i'm not sure how i have an older version of prestashop, i just downloaded this the other day i thought, although i did have an old copy on my computer from quite some time ago and maybe i got them mixed up. do you recommend doing an update and addressing the problem then? or could that solve the problem by upgrading?

That worked. The Javascript errors are gone, but I see now that your missing categories are not caused by a Javascript error, but they aren't even being downloaded at all! Your site is seriously messed up. You really should start with a fresh installation of PrestaShop v1.3.1 and then modify the default PrestaShop v1.3.1 to look how you like it. Trying to patch up an old version of PrestaShop isn't a good idea.

ok, that's a bummer.... :/ I'm not sure how that happened though, really. I just did the install earlier today and have spent all day editing the CSS file to change colors and whatnot. However, I will take your advice and start with a new version. Starting over stinks!!! :( lol

Thanks again!