[SOLVED] Can I get explaination for the terms ....

I have a hard time to understand the terms used in prestashop and the functions too... for example What does it mean by Product Cover is it the picture is going to be used a the first picture in the products page? or is there a cover page for the product ? I am sorry English is my second language. one thing for sure the prestashop wiki is not that impressive. But I think with the help of the community here we can improve the prestashop wiki ... just that the admins need to check the information is true or not. I say we vote for the wiki to be community driven.

Please somebody provide me some explanation for the below

The below occurs when creating new category
* Image - why is there an image for a category ? will it be displayed somewhere ? Where ?
* Meta Title ? - What ? where?
* Meta Description ? - where ?
* Meta keywords - is this for searching capabilities ... on the search block ?
* Friendly URL - I enabled .htaccess already and failed to see how I can use friendly URL to my advantage? what does it do ?
* group - I can only see default ? what or which group does it refer to ?

The below occurs when you want to add new products
* Product Cover - add image to a new product
* EAN13
* Location - why do they need location ?
* ECO-TAX
* Tags

The below occurs when you want to edit an existing product
* Attributes and features ? are they the same ?
* Customization - what does this do ?
* Attachments - is this for any type of PDF or something alike ?

In BO>Catalog>tags
what does this do ?

It think that's all for now .. heheheh .. I know it's quite a handful

You can figure out how most of these features work just by using them. I'll try to describe them for you anyway. Maybe I should write a book on Prestashop.

•Image – why is there an image for a category ? will it be displayed somewhere ? Where ?

The category image is displayed as a thumbnail for the subcategory listings on the parent category page and also as a large banner at the top of the category page above the category description, unless an image map has been specified for that category, in which case the image map is displayed instead of the category image.

•Meta Title ? – What ? where?
•Meta Description ? – where ?
•Meta keywords – is this for searching capabilities … on the search block ?

These are displayed in the <head> tag of the category page for search engine optimisation. They are not used in the search block.

•Friendly URL – I enabled .htaccess already and failed to see how I can use friendly URL to my advantage? what does it do ?

Friendly URLs are used for search engine optimisation. For example, on my website, the URL for my Prestashop modules category is http://www.nethercottconstructions.com/3-prestashop-modules/ instead of http://www.nethercottconstructions.com/category.php?id_category=3. This URL provides keywords for search engines and users who have bookmarked the page so they have an idea of what the page is instead of just a category number.

•group – I can only see default ? what or which group does it refer to ?

You can use customer groups to provide a subset of your customers a percentage discount or restrict access of categories to certain customers. By default, Prestashop only comes with a default customer group and all customers have access to all categories. Using this field, you could create an exclusive category of products for VIP members only, for example.

•Product Cover – add image to a new product

The product cover is the image that appears whenever that product is displayed in product listings. You can add as many images to a product as you like, but you must choose one of those images as the "cover" image, since only one product image is displayed for each product in the product listings.

•EAN13

This is the standard 13-digit barcode for the product. It is optional and is not displayed to customers. It is displayed only on the "1. Info." tab of the product editor for you to see. It is only the Reference field that is displayed to the customer, so if you want the customer to see the barcode, you'll have to enter it under Reference.

•Location – why do they need location ?

This field is also optional and for your reference only. It allows you to specify the location of the product in a warehouse. You could enter a code like a dewey number in this field so you know which shelf to look for the product.

ECO-TAX

Some countries have an eco-tax to promote ecologically sustainable activities via economic incentives. If your country does, you can enter the tax amount here.

•Tags

These are keywords that are used to create a tag cloud in "Tags block". If you don't have this module installed, it is unnecessary to write tags. Clicking on a tag in the tag cloud will perform a search of your website using that tag.

•Attributes and features ? are they the same ?

No, they are two completely different concepts. Attributes are options for the product that affect what the customer will receive. For example, the iPod has a colour attribute. The customer must choose which colour they want when purchasing an iPod and they will receive an iPod of that colour. Features of a product provide information about the product and apply to all product attributes. For example, all iPods feature a mini-jack stereo headphone.

•Customization – what does this do ?

Customization allows the customer to send text or images along with their product order. For example, a customer could type in text that they want printed on a mug or upload an image that they want printed on a t-shirt, and whatever they send will appear in the Back Office with the order.

•Attachments – is this for any type of PDF or something alike ?

Attachments can be any file that you want to attach to a product. For example, you could provide a PDF manual for a product that can be downloaded for free from the product page. This is different to the "downloadable product" option on the product editor, which allows you to encrypt a file and make it available only to customer who have purchased it.

Wow Rocky.
You know I wasn't sure either my post was going to be ignored or answered with a one sentence heheheh ... Then you came along .. and brighten it up ... with your glory. I think I have said it already in some other post You are the greatest ... so here it is again .. You're THE GREATEST heheheh .. :cheese:

Thank you so much ... for your reply.

Regards
Archproject

• 3 months later...

How about changing the name of "Cover Image" to "Primary Image." No wonder someone who doesn't speak great English has a problem understanding it, because English speakers will also have trouble understanding what it means as it has no obvious meaning in English