Database Error while upgrading

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

But I really do not understand what you've just suggested (the PMA part, "root"??? Where?), other than going straight to the administrator.

May I trouble you for a step by step instructions, on how to upload my existing database into a new one?

Really appreciate it. Thanks.

J.

I'm not sure why you're trying to create another database if all you're trying to do is upgrade? There's no need.

If you want to make another copy, then usually on shared hosting accounts you create the database via your cpanel (and not in phpMyAdmin).

So the steps to make a duplicate database would be:

1) in cPanel (or your equivalent) create the new database
2) in phpMyAdmin select the old database and click export, then check the box at the bottom that says "Save to File"
3) Go to the new database (the one created in step 1) and click import, then upload the file saved in step 2

Done.

If you just want to upgrade, then perform step 2 above to make a backup, and follow the upgrade instructions detailed here:

http://www.prestashop.com/wiki/Getting_Started/#Update_PrestaShop

Paul

I'm not sure why you're trying to create another database if all you're trying to do is upgrade? There's no need.

If you want to make another copy, then usually on shared hosting accounts you create the database via your cpanel (and not in phpMyAdmin).

So the steps to make a duplicate database would be:

1) in cPanel (or your equivalent) create the new database
2) in phpMyAdmin select the old database and click export, then check the box at the bottom that says "Save to File"
3) Go to the new database (the one created in step 1) and click import, then upload the file saved in step 2

Done.

If you just want to upgrade, then perform step 2 above to make a backup, and follow the upgrade instructions detailed here:

http://www.prestashop.com/wiki/Getting_Started/#Update_PrestaShop

Paul

Hi,

Thanks for posting/ replying.

I did all your suggested steps previously, that is why I am getting this error... and yes, that includes the link and instructions.

Cheers,
J.

Your backup is trying to create the database again then, which it shouldn't when you're in a shared hosting environment. Now, it will depend on which version of phpmyadmin you have, but when you go to create the export, do the following:

1) Select the database you want from the dropdown list in the far left column
2) Click the ""Export" tab in the main right-hand pane.
3) In the export dialog all the tables should be selected in the list (make sure they are) and check the following (and only these)

3.1 Structure
3.1.1 Add AUTO_INCREMENT value
3.1.2 Enclose table and field names with backquotes
3.2 Data
3.2.1 Complete inserts
3.2.2 Extended Inserts
3.2.3 Use hexadecimal for BLOB

3.3 Export Type : INSERT

(Note that You'll need to check "Save to File too")

An alternative would be to load up the SQL you've already exported in a plain text editor and remove the section that has the CREATE DATABASE statement block in it. You're trying to import the tables but NOT re-create the database, if you get what I mean.

Paul