Retail Store + Online Store - Both Prestashop?

Hi Everyone

I'm looking for some input / guidance on a question in principle.

If you were going to open a retail (real-world) store after opening an online store would you consider using Prestashop for the retail store as well - or would you set up an independant traditional POS & Inventory management system for the retail store?

I'm curious because Prestashop is not natively suited to handling POS customers at a till as you would experience in a traditional retail store. Yes I know there are modules that extend the PS functionality - but how well does it work in reality?

I'm also somewhat concerned with the lack of native reporting in Prestashop - a retail store requires fairly robust reporting.

EG: Cash float (till) recon, integration to 'offline' credit card terminals, daily stock movements etc.

Furthermore a retail store requires the printing of barcode labels for the products so that checkout at the till can be dealt with quickly and efficiently (prices, discounts, reduction of inventory etc) - not to mention receipt slips etc

I see Prestashop does provide for barcodes in their products - but creating and printing barcode labels (Descr, Price, Barcode) etc isn't supported - as it would be in a traditional retail POS and Inventory Management system.

I like the idea of consolidating both the retail and ecommerce store using just Prestashop - I can see many advantages, I'm just not sure if Prestashop is sufficiently suited to the retail market?

I'm certain there are dozens of other considerations so I would be interested in getting your feedback - especially if you run both an online as well as a retail store using just Prestashop to manage both.

Thanks in advance for your time, input, comments and suggestions!

Warm regards

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Bob,

I set up very simple Point of Sale system for my customer. He start with PS online shop and after few months open "Real" retail outlet. He's selling same products using only 1 PS stock and system. All transactions in real shop are made with usage of very simple POS ( on his laptop) He is using in store barcode scanner, credit card terminal, receipt printer plus accepting cash payments and partial payments (cash + card). Every product sold in store and online is automatically removed from stock. All sales history is in PS data base. But like you mention before PS have quite limited reporting or poor reporting. 

If you are looking for soultion like this contact me at [email protected]