Paypal 404 error - extended friendly SEO & URL problems - "cannot scan override directory"

I've recently upgraded a long-running shop from 1.4.7.x to 1.6.1.1.

It was a long process and getting the images to work was again a real hit & miss problem. However, all was sorted out and the only fail was the PayPal module would kick out a 404 error when trying to pay - either by turbo checkout or full basket process. The script would attempt to call /modules/paypal/express_checkout/payment.php but 404, even though it was there.

All other solutions failed except turning off URL rewriting (and on and off to check the .htaccess was re-written).

Without friendly URL's the Paypal module worked 100% - but I really needed to have f-URLs.

So, I turned the rewriting back on, and carried on trying to solve.

Then I went to SEO/URLS and tried to edit or add any of the entries there - so that I could add PAYMENT.PHP to the list

I got the "Cannot scan override directory" error, for which there appears to be no fix.

Can anyone of relevant skill or experience assist?! All other discussions (only found 2 of them) seem to remain unanswered.

Edited by Torbz (see edit history)

Ok, posted this on another thread in french that discussed the override problem. My solution was this:

Had the same problem...

in classes/meta.php on line 68

if (!$override_files = Tools::scandir(_PS_CORE_DIR_.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR. 'override' .DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR . 'controllers' . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR. 'front' . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR, 'php' ,'', true)) {
            die(Tools::displayError('Cannot scan "override" directory'));

It looks like nothing is wrong, but the function above it on line 59 :

(!$files = Tools::scandir(_PS_CORE_DIR_.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'controllers'.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'front'.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR, 'php', '', true)) {
die(Tools::displayError('Cannot scan "root" directory'));

Spot any difference in the syntax??

There are blank spaces - I removed the blank space for line 68 to:

if (!$override_files = Tools::scandir(_PS_CORE_DIR_.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'override'.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'controllers'.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'front'.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR,'php','',true)) {
die(Tools::displayError('Cannot scan "override" directory'));

and suddenly I can edit my values on the SEO/URL page again!!

However, on-going investigations and attempts to fix the PayPal module and friendly URL's on at the same time has proven a very difficult issue. The problem is tied up in the engine of PS's URL rewriting. Even though the file exists, it forces or catches as a 404 error, even though it looks like a dodgy bit of scripting doing something wrong.... still solution is out there somewhere...

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I had the same issue. The problem was that index.php was missing in several folders in override directory. Compare the directory with original ZIP files and make sure that you have index.php in all subfolders.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!! THATS WAS THAT :) Thanks Again!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...