DynamoDB integration / Amazon RDS integration

So let's say I've fully optimized my PrestaShop server setup (incl. nginx, caching etc.) the only bottleneck that remains is the database which can't keep up with the amount of concurrent orders on my site (flash sale).

After reading hours about tuning MariaDB & Percona, I found a nice Amazon offer called DynamoDB which can handle huge traffic spikes without loosing orders from customers.

DynamoDB is a NoSQL database (as opposed to a traditional relational database). If it works as advertised then I can just throw out all worries about complex DB setups.

In case a NoSQL setup shouldn't work, Amazon also offers the same service for relational databases called RDS.

Does anyone have experience with either of these services connected to PrestaShop?

Here's a quick overview how it works: 

Edited by GoodFellow (see edit history)

Nosql is not compatible with PrestaShop. 

As for using RDS we have used it before, but network latency is a big issue. When using it we have to buy PIOPS which does help the latency, but at the same time they are costly as well. 

• Like 1

@Dh42

Thank you for your feedback.

In the meantime I have switched my attention from Amazon RDS to Google Cloud SQL.

Although the same principles apply here: you also need PIOPS and select a plan that features "always available" otherwise the mysql server will shut down (or goes idle) after 15 mins inactivity, which results in a connection error with PrestaShop (according to another shop owner).

Price is around $150 per month if you select the strongest MySQL server - which is OK if I think about the headache of setting up a database cluster and then just pray it holds.

So this setup eliminates my biggest worry, write errors (=lost orders) in the database. If the biggest drawback is that my clients have to wait 1 or 2 additional seconds before they receive a purchase confirmation, then I can live with that quite happily.