If not in state, don't charge product tax.

I've set everything up correctly to charge tax only to residents of Texas. That part works, but the products I have set up to not charge taxes are still charging them in the state of Texas... any ideas?

$20 to the PayPal account who gets the right answer first. Just rolled the site live today.

Update:

I've figured out that it's either all or nothing with State Tax and Product Tax is where the individual rules get applied per product. Now, what I need is to use Product Tax, but exclude any taxes being charged outside of Texas.

What I'm thinking is in classes\Tax.php editing:

if ($tax_behavior == PS_STATE_TAX)
                   return Tax::getRateByState(intval($address_ids['id_state']));

to read something like:

if ($tax_behavior == PS_STATE_TAX AND STATE !== 'Tx')

Obviously this is nowhere near right, but these are just my thoughts.

I am having simular troubles I have a sales tax for texas that does not show up I have set the products to no tax and it doesnt show up if I set the products to sales tax but apply this tax for only texas the tax is added for everyone.

mechanictoolsonline.com/index.php

Alright, so I've done a fresh install on my local box and used all the default settings with the exception of local taxes and it works fine. So, I know it's an edit I've done to the cart. Any direction a moderator can point me in as far as the file that messed up tax?

I think I've finally got a grasp on how tax works and know the issue. Normally this is the process:

State Tax Selected > User lives in state > All products taxed

I need:

State tax selected > User lives in state > Tax given to individual product > Product is taxed

or

State tax selected > User lives in state > No Tax selected for product > Product not taxed

Please, any thoughts?

I'm guessing this is the code I'll need to edit:

static public function getApplicableTax($id_tax, $productTax)
   {
       global $cart, $cookie, $defaultCountry;

$id_address_invoice = intval((Validate::isLoadedObject($cart) AND $cart->id_address_invoice) ? $cart->id_address_invoice : (isset($cookie->id_address_invoice) ? $cookie->id_address_invoice : 0));
       /* If customer has an address (implies that he is registered and logged) */
       if ($id_address_invoice AND $address_ids = Address::getCountryAndState($id_address_invoice))
       {
           $id_zone_country = Country::getIdZone(intval($address_ids['id_country']));
           /* If customer's invoice address is inside a state */
           if ($address_ids['id_state'])
           {
               $state = new State(intval($address_ids['id_state']));

if (!Validate::isLoadedObject($state))
                   die(Tools::displayError());
               /* Return tax value depending to the tax behavior */
               $tax_behavior = intval($state->tax_behavior);
               if ($tax_behavior == PS_PRODUCT_TAX)
                   return $productTax * Tax::zoneHasTax(intval($id_tax), intval($id_zone_country));
               if ($tax_behavior == PS_STATE_TAX)
               if ($tax_behavior == PS_BOTH_TAX)
                   return ($productTax * Tax::zoneHasTax(intval($id_tax), intval($id_zone_country))) + Tax::getRateByState(intval($address_ids['id_state']));
               /* Unknown behavior */
               die(Tools::displayError('Unknown tax behavior!'));
           }
           /* Else getting country zone tax */
           if (!$id_zone = Address::getZoneById($id_address_invoice))
           return $productTax * Tax::zoneHasTax(intval($id_tax), intval($id_zone));
       }
       /* Default tax application */
       if (!Validate::isLoadedObject($defaultCountry))
       return $productTax * Tax::zoneHasTax(intval($id_tax), intval($defaultCountry->id_zone));
   }

Any ideas on what to do? I'm going to plug away at it, see if I come up with anything. I'm not too familiar with this though.