After upgrading to latest ps 1.6.1 the shop goes slower

I noticed the same thing - my PS 1.6.0.9 shop did usually load in less than 2.5 seconds (VPS hosting), with a TTFB of less than 1.5 seconds.

After the successful 1-click upgrade to 1.6.1 the pageload time did jump to nearly 10 seconds !!! With a TTFB of more than 5-6 seconds.

I did recompile, clear the cache, and pretty much checked all the setting I could think off. I even tried using the upgraded bootstrap theme, no difference, dreadfully slow website.

So for now, I am rolling back.

• Like 1

I noticed the same thing - my PS 1.6.0.9 shop did usually load in less than 2.5 seconds (VPS hosting), with a TTFB of less than 1.5 seconds.

After the successful 1-click upgrade to 1.6.1 the pageload time did jump to nearly 10 seconds !!! With a TTFB of more than 5-6 seconds.

I did recompile, clear the cache, and pretty much checked all the setting I could think off. I even tried using the upgraded bootstrap theme, no difference, dreadfully slow website.

So for now, I am rolling back.

Do you think that the one click magical upgrade might be the issue and that if you were to install a new fresh prestashop 1.6.1 site from scratch but with the same content than the old ps (a duplicate of the old ps), actually the new shop would perform as promised?

By the way, thank you for sharing your experience as I was starting to believe that I was the only one with this issue.

Do you think that the one click magical upgrade might be the issue and that if you were to install a new fresh prestashop 1.6.1 site from scratch but with the same content than the old ps (a duplicate of the old ps), actually the new shop would perform as promised?

You're welcome, I know how it feels when you think you're the only one with this issue. :-)

I have been wondering that myself. From what I hear on the forum, PS 1.6.1 seem to load fast for most people, so the issue seems to happen during the upgrade. My website is live so I didn't have much time for testing before reverting, but I will try creating a test copy of my website, and then upgrade again and see if it performs better.

You're welcome, I know how it feels when you think you're the only one with this issue. :-)

I have been wondering that myself. From what I hear on the forum, PS 1.6.1 seem to load fast for most people, so the issue seems to happen during the upgrade. My website is live so I didn't have much time for testing before reverting, but I will try creating a test copy of my website, and then upgrade again and see if it performs better.

By looking into the snapshots that I placed here of the two sites (old and new ps) in debug mode can you see anything? 

In anycase, if I dont find any solution I will make a new ps 1.6.1 from scratch and duplicate the old ps to see what happens and I will post it here (within one month).

For what I saw on google pagespeed the results of the new ps are promising. Just the speed or how long the server takes to respond is a problem.

Thanks again for your contribution.

Edited by De La Riviere (see edit history)

I'm more of a merchant with a slight tech background, so I'd leave it to the experts on the forum to look at your snapshots. I have been using PS since 1.3 and know from past experiences that errors can happen during upgrade (like missing files, or table columns, etc).

So trying 1-click upgrade again might produce a different result, or doing a manual upgrade.

• Like 1

I will make a new one from scratch copy of the one I have now and see the differences... Then we can confirm that one click upgrades are not good...

Cool, I'd be curious to see if that fixes your problem. I can not create my shop from scratch (too many products and existing customers), but I will try upgrading again, both methods, and post here once I have figured out how to solve the issue.

I've run into this same problem with fresh installs and upgrades. I've especially seen it whenever I've cleared the cache. One thing that helped was to disable cache and then do a recompile. I still haven't been able to figure out what the root cause is.

I've run into this same problem with fresh installs and upgrades. I've especially seen it whenever I've cleared the cache. One thing that helped was to disable cache and then do a recompile. I still haven't been able to figure out what the root cause is.

Thanks for the input!

I did try that too, clearing cache and then forcing recompile, without success. I didn't try recompiling with cache disabled though, gonna try that next time. Thanks for the hint! :-)

Final thoughts on using the oneclick upgrade to update ps to latest: no good

Overall the size of the site increases a bit, as well as the number of queries on the database and as the overall number of files and folders. Speed dereases slightly and no major or minor benefits are made from the customer´s perspective. The BO looks different and the security and bug issues that have been upfated do not really posses a threat to at least my ps 1.6.06.

Upgrade is therefore is a waste. Maybe a new fresh install could be better.

I noticed the same issue coming up on a fresh install, right now I'm trying a fresh install without running any updates to the modules. I'm thinking that the database gets corrupted or damaged somewhere with one of them and that's what may be causing it. 

• Like 1