General question about installation and permissions

Hi, I'm new to prestashop and I really like how the demo was so I decided to install it. I was going through the steps in the installation wiki documentation found at http://www.prestashop.com/wiki/Getting_Started/#Install_PrestaShop

In the first part of step 6, it says I need to chmod 777 for these directories /config, /tools/smarty/compile but not their subdirectories. I have done it for /config and /tools, but I cannot find the /smarty and /compile directories. Were these directories removed from version 1.0 final?

Also, in the second part of step 6, it says I need to 777 chmod these directories and their sub-directories. /img, /mails, /modules, /themes/prestashop/lang, /translations. In my ftp program (KFTPGrabber) I have the option to "Apply changes to all subfolders and their contents". I selected this to apply and now, everything, including the sub-folders and the files themselves, are set to writable (all the .gifs and .php are now writable). Is this what was intended? or is it supposed to be the folders only set to writable? Will this be a security risk?

Thank you very much!