PrestaShop on XAMPP and OS X

I have been trying for 4 days to get PrestaShop to work. I have had one thing after another after another; XAMPP completely refused to work and after trying everything that the entire internet suggested I erased my drive and installed a fresh copy of OS X.

Now, OS X and XAMPP are running nice and I can connect to Apache, MySQL, FTPD and phpMyAdmin.

I have downloaded prestashop and moved it to /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/prestashop, however, when I open localhost/prestashop it returns localhost/prestashop/install/ and is blank.

I have tried looking online and changed /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/prestashop/config/defines.inc.php to:

if (!defined('_PS_MODE_DEV_'))

define('_PS_MODE_DEV_', true);          <<===== from false
/* Compatibility warning */
define('_PS_DISPLAY_COMPATIBILITY_WARNING_', true);
if (_PS_MODE_DEV_ === true)

Now, when I open localhost/prestashop/install I get:

Fatal error: Class 'Tools' not found in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/prestashop/classes/PrestaShopAutoload.php on line 163

I have had a look at /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/prestashop/classes/PrestaShopAutoload.php and have absolutely no idea what I'm looking at. This is what I have - with 163 highlighted below:

{
$classes = array_merge(
$this->getClassesFromDir('classes/'),
$this->getClassesFromDir('controllers/'),
$this->getClassesFromDir('Adapter/'),
$this->getClassesFromDir('Core/')
);

if ($this->_include_override_path)
$classes = array_merge(
$classes,
$this->getClassesFromDir('override/classes/', defined('_PS_HOST_MODE_')),
$this->getClassesFromDir('override/controllers/', defined('_PS_HOST_MODE_'))
);

ksort($classes);
$content = '<?php return '.var_export($classes, true).'; ?>';

// Write classes index on disc to cache it
$filename = $this->normalizeDirectory(_PS_ROOT_DIR_).PrestaShopAutoload::INDEX_FILE;
$filename_tmp = tempnam(dirname($filename), basename($filename.'.'));
if ($filename_tmp !== false && file_put_contents($filename_tmp, $content) !== false)
{
if (!@rename($filename_tmp, $filename))
unlink($filename_tmp);
else
@chmod($filename, 0666);
}
// $filename_tmp couldn't be written. $filename should be there anyway (even if outdated), no need to die.
else
Tools::error_log('Cannot write temporary file '.$filename_tmp);          <<===== line 163
$this->index = $classes;
}

RESOLVED: line 163 should have had // at the beginning as it's a comment. Unsure why when I downloaded it, it came like that but atlas it's fixed.
Edited by mclachlan.m (see edit history)