How to change style info of Search Box in left column

Hi. I transplanted the search bar from the header to the left column. When I did this, it put the search bar in the darker styling similar to the specials box. When I make the css changes in for the search bar in global.css it has no effect as it must be applied to it when it is in the header. Any ideas on how I change th style info on this when it is in the left column? Also, I noticed the go button for the field doesn't fit next to the text field and jumps below. Where do I fix this as well? Thank.
- Rory

here's a quick solution for you to use which is using the small exclusive button style for the search ;)
replace blocksearch.tpl with:

<!-- Block search module -->

{l s='Search' mod='blocksearch'}

<form method="get" action="{$base_dir}search.php" id="searchbox">

{l s='Enter a product name' mod='blocksearch'}
           <input name="search_query" type="text" id="search_query" value="{if isset($smarty.get.search_query)}{$smarty.get.search_query|htmlentities:$ENT_QUOTES:'utf-8'}{/if}" size="12" />
           <input type="submit" value="{l s='Search' mod='blocksearch'}" class="exclusive_small" style="display:inline" />

</form>

<!-- /Block search module -->

just to fix buton position:

<!-- Block search module -->

{l s='Search' mod='blocksearch'}
   <form method="get" action="{$base_dir}search.php" id="searchbox" class="block_content">

{l s='Enter a product name' mod='blocksearch'}
           <input type="text" id="search_query" name="search_query" value="{if isset($smarty.get.search_query)}{$smarty.get.search_query|htmlentities:$ENT_QUOTES:'utf-8'}{/if}" size="18"/>
           <input type="submit" class="button_mini" value="{l s='go' mod='blocksearch'}" style="display:inline" />

</form>

<!-- /Block search module -->

thank you