[SOLVED] New user looking for best approach to listing catalog items

I am working on setting up a cart with about 400 items in it, each an item with specific text on it. One way that I'd like my customers to find the particular item they want is by alphabetically listing the items in text form so they can easily locate the specific wording that they're looking for. I also want to incorporate the 'categories' feature because these items all break down into about 10 specific categories and this feature would be used by those more interested in browsing what's available rather than looking to match exactly what they have.

How might I go about listing those 400 items in way that makes the most sense and in a way that makes the entire list available to the user by scrolling up and down?

Not entirely sure what you want, but maybe:
Create those 10 categories.
Create a Show All category.
For each product, check the category they belong to and also the Show All category.
I believe that default sorting can be changed to price, alphabetically, or a couple of other choises.

Would this do it?

I myself have a category for each game I sell where everything for that game is listed, and also sub categories, eg Books where only the books are listed.

/Mats

Mohsart - thank you for your response and I might try that. Given a choice I would prefer a simpler listing - almost a spread sheet listing where you would click on the line (the description) and it would bring you to the item. On your site each items takes up a lot of vertical space making scrolling up and down the items more cumbersome when there is 400+ items. Thanks and if I ever need a Chinese board game I know where to go!