Changing PHP Version internal server error

In my server control panel Cpanel i have the ability to change PHP version, my current version is 5.3.29, and i need to change it to a higher one at least 5.4 because 2 services that i use do not support 5.3 anymore. My problem is i know how to change it, but all my prestashop sites give me internal server error once i changed it. Than if i change it back, everything is fine. How can i avoid this I've tried a new install of prestashop with php 5.5 already changed before, and still the same problem. I've tried the little help that i found on internet about the .htaccess with nosuccess. Any body has any idea?

It is possible the .htaccess module is disabled, changed, or that the http configuration is different. If you want to rule that out, install XAMPP (for windows) and try out the different PHP versions locally so you can see whether your host is the problem.

Note: You could ask your host to setup extra logging vars that will log these 500 errors.

Thanks for the attempt, but i've now also asked my host about this and i will wait to see what they say.

the .htaccess you talk about, i don't know that there is a module, but i did rename it and prestashop recreated it, so i think it shouldn't be a problem with that.

as for XAMPP i really don't have the time it would take, i will keep in mind this option as a last resort.  

Apache needs to honor the .htaccess. Some webhosting companeis require an altered form of syntax for the .htaccess file. PrestaShop only writes the .htaccess in the standard that sis defined. If your hosting company requires another directive (or module name) this is something they'd know.

local testing is always a bit tedious but you'll find that it might help you in case of dire need ;-)

Let us know how this panned out.