How best to attract visitors to my shop..

dave204

Here is my online shop, www.electronicsshopdirect.com

I've added some interesting modules etc., and a lot of products - BUT how do I get more visitors?
I've registered with lots of online directories, but its still hard-going.
Would it be a good idea to perhaps advertise one or two products on eBay, with a link to my shop?

Any suggestions from successful owners of online shops would be much appreciated!
And nany thanks to prestashop visitors who have given me valuable feedback already on the layout!

David Fergus

Hey David,

This question might not be directly related to PrestaShop but I will try to give at least a few guidelines.

There are loads of options that will supposedly increase your online store popularity. The best is of course by people manually referring you to their friends and family - over online forums web sites etc. This is of course the hardest to achieve :) What you should take care of (and this goes not for online stores only but all web sites)

Optimize your online store for search engines
Create valuable content and update it regularly
Consider promotional offers and discount coupons that will make visitors post links to your web site

I would advise you to take a look at several search engine optimization articles recently submitted by the hosting company I work for:
http://kb.siteground.com/category/SEO_FAQ.html
I am sure you will find some of the advises really helpful considering the search engine optimization for your store.

It is only natural that in time you will have new products available but you might also consider using one or possibly all of the following:

Create an online blog where you can post regular updates on topics related to the products you provide.
Create a twitter account for the same purpose. Also you can occasionally answer customer questions there if they use twitter also.
Create a forum for your store where visitors can discuss related topics.

All of the above will greatly contribute with content generated by your customers or online store visitors - thus increasing your overal search engine ranking. It is really a big plus.

Advertising a few products on eBay might also be a good starting idea. Note only that such strategy (pay per click links or similar) might give you a temporary boost on visitors but is not really worth it in the long run.

Wish you good luck with your store and I really hope this helps.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Here is my online shop, www.electronicsshopdirect.com

I've added some interesting modules etc., and a lot of products - BUT how do I get more visitors?
I've registered with lots of online directories, but its still hard-going.
Would it be a good idea to perhaps advertise one or two products on eBay, with a link to my shop?

Any suggestions from successful owners of online shops would be much appreciated!
And nany thanks to prestashop visitors who have given me valuable feedback already on the layout!

David Fergus

I think search engine optimization is the first factor that you must concern with. Second, make an ad. Third, use social media like FB, Twitter, Blog, etc. Fourth, social bookmarking. Fifth, submit to website with higher pagerank. Sixth, submit to directories. Seventh, update regularly your store so that visitor will come back and come back.

My Alexa traffic decreased in four months from around 14 million to 700 thousand. Still a lot of work to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you been looking at your web site analytics to see how you might better improve sales from your existing visitors?
There are certainly many avenues for getting more visitors. One popular, yet expensive method is the use of Google Adwords. Since you're into the electronics space the keywords costs may exceed your budget since you'll be going against the big-box biz's already advertising there.