Server crash after abandonned cart problem vers: 1.6.0.9

I got a problem with abandonned shopping carts on my site. Everyday I have 2-8 occurences where I get 20-50 abandonned shopping carts within 30-60 sec. wich causes my server to crash.

I've tried turning off the sql database, which didn't Work.

I've tried turning off the wmware and reboot the system, which makes the server run normal again, but only until next occurence.  

My prestashop installation (ver. 1.6.0.9) is five weeks old and I've only had problems since the 28-29th of november.

There are no downloads or any other Things draining the server.

I've tried adding more ram, going from 4GB to 6GB, also increased xcache, which causes the server to not die, just being painfully slow. (15+ sec load time.)

I have a suspecion that it might be a module that adds related products, form the same category, to a product. This is the module description: Adds a block on the product page that displays products from the same category. By PrestaShop v.1.6.2

The abanddoned carts all have 4 products in them and all these products are from the same category.

Do you know what the issues might be? Is it possible that it's this "related product" module?

See screenshot:

We've tried looking at Ip-adresses at the time leading up to the downtime. Is it possible that it's a crawler or a cron job? My IT guy can't find any problems with Cron jobs and so on.

Thanks in advance :-)

post-877930-0-79431100-1418131489_thumb.jpg

Edited by JanJacobsen (see edit history)