how to change tags in prestashop

mshahabi

• 2 weeks later...

Tags are not important for SEO. Tags are ignored from Google on indexing. So don't spend your time and money on this.

Aes I'*m sure and have this directly form Google personal which was taking a look into my project because of error on Google bots not indexing my page as they should. You are not penalised by spaming tentative using tags, but Google is not indexing them anymore. This is a technique from 5-7 years ago, very out-of-date, besides that Prestashop is not Wordpress.

You should take more attention to your META-TAGS, META-DESCRIPTION AND canalized CONTENT to your keywording.

Edited by selectshop.at (see edit history)

Tags are not important for SEO. Tags are ignored from Google on indexing. So don't spend your time and money on this.

Aes I'*m sure and have this directly form Google personal which was taking a look into my project because of error on Google bots not indexing my page as they should. You are not penalised by spaming tentative using tags, but Google is not indexing them anymore. This is a technique from 5-7 years ago, very out-of-date, besides that Prestashop is not Wordpress.

You should take more attention to your META-TAGS, META-DESCRIPTION AND canalized CONTENT to your keywording.

That's absolutely wrong.

1. Google can't undestand if a page is a "tag" page or not

2. The default tag pages are filtered from crawling and indexing via the robots.txt file by PrestaShop

3. The urls like site.com/tag/Apple are being inexed by google because they do not fall under the "Disallow: /*tag=" rule 

4. Meta keywords are something that is most meaningless and google is not using them at all and meta description is not used in SEO ranking and is just displayed by google if no other content matches the search keywords - else Google displays part of the matched content.

Content is the most impotant of course, and if you manage to write a good content for the tag pages, like the ones from the Advanced Tag module, you can gain additional traffic for sure.

• Like 2

That's absolutely wrong.

1. Google can't undestand if a page is a "tag" page or not

2. The default tag pages are filtered from crawling and indexing via the robots.txt file by PrestaShop

3. The urls like site.com/tag/Apple are being inexed by google because they do not fall under the "Disallow: /*tag=" rule 

4. Meta keywords are something that is most meaningless and google is not using them at all and meta description is not used in SEO ranking and is just displayed by google if no other content matches the search keywords - else Google displays part of the matched content.

Content is the most impotant of course, and if you manage to write a good content for the tag pages, like the ones from the Advanced Tag module, you can gain additional traffic for sure.

It was great
I completely agree with your opinion.

Well, than Google employees do not know what they say and do....

Make by yourself a search on the net that cloud tags are obsolete and it is true. After Google employees giving me the advice to remove the cloud tag, my page had and extra upgrade to first site five first search results on  prepared sites with content keywording.

Here one search result saying the same: http://www.quora.com/Have-tag-clouds-became-obsolete

You are not punished by using tag cloud, but content is mainly ignored.

See also this one with video from Mat Cuts explaining the case: http://dejanseo.com.au/effect-of-tag-clouds-on-seo/

And yes it was the case on my page and the reason why Google advised me to disable the tag cloud.

I was not speaking about Meta-keywords. Meta-keywords are ignored since years...

The second problem of tag-pages is that they produce double content and/or a non matching content to tagged products. It is better to don't use. Simply question for you to see how I'm right: Are you selling Tag-pages or are you selling products ? Keywording on content of your product page should be canalized on your products and not on tag-pages (landing pages or something else with do not apply to a product). All These contet, although it is indexed you will never find on first positions. Not for Google and also not on Bing.

But well each SEO-Expert has your own experiences... I keep on mine letting my page on first positions since years...

Rework the architecture of your shop, canalise the keywording to your products (keyword density), (use a blog internal or external) and you will have an excellent SEO and internal linking.

Well, than Google employees do not know what they say and do....

Make by yourself a search on the net that cloud tags are obsolete and it is true. After Google employees giving me the advice to remove the cloud tag, my page had and extra upgrade to first site five first search results on  prepared sites with content keywording.

Here one search result saying the same: http://www.quora.com/Have-tag-clouds-became-obsolete

You are not punished by using tag cloud, but content is mainly ignored.

I was not speaking about Meta-keywords. Meta-keywords are ignored since years...

The second problem of tag-pages is that they produce double content and/or a non matching content to tagged products. It is better to don't use. Simply question for you to see how I'm right: Are you selling Tag-pages or are you selling products ? Keywording on content of your product page should be canalized on your products and not on tag-pages (landing pages or something else with do not apply to a product). All These contet, although it is indexed you will never find on first positions. Not for Google and also not on Bing.

But well each SEO-Expert has your own experiences... I keep on mine letting my page on first positions since years...

You can find articles with pros and cons of the two cases: with & without tags. Most of them are taling about the so called "juice flow" and in that matter they are absolutely right. The question is that in most of the cases, you can create a proper implementation of product tagging (proper tags which are more specific than the categories, keywords, proper tag pages description, proper SEO paragraph right after the tag name on the page with h1/h2, strong on the specific keywords).

If tagging was bad for the SEO no e-commerce solution will have them as a core funcionality and still all of them have them. Most of the articles concentrate on the "tag cloud" in the matter of "juice flow" and most of them miss to look on the other side - a "proper tags" and properly optimized tag pages.

If there's enough content at the tag page, what will be different than a "category page"? It will be still "description" + list of products, sorted in specific order. Tag pages can be even better than the cateogry pages regarding the "on-page optimization", because you are free to choose the keywords you want and to be exclusively specific. Tag Cloulds are almost useless to the customers - they tend not to use them, but if they are properly setuped the tag pages attract more traffic. I had a clients which had up to 30% boost of good traffic (similar conversion rate as google visits from category pages).

From the analytics I've noticed that customers more often click on the tag links from a product details page, than on the general block.

To summarize: customers do not tend to use tag clouds, but with well selected number of tags to display, tag names, and description for tha tag pages it can boost your income, since you will have additional keywords centered pages that will be indexed by google and users can find your site via those keyword. Extremely usefull in small markets with local language different than the top 5 most spoken.

I'm not a SEO-Expert, but have a good experience with tags optimization & a lot of analytics data, on which I can step upon. Tags can be used and misused.  :)

I agree, but in this case you should display the tags directly in the product page and not in a tag.cloud. And this is the crucial point of my "don't do it - what are you selling ? products or tag-pages ? And finally this simply question was the one Google employee asked me and convinced me to deinstall the tag cloud. After this my project gained some points upward on the search ranking and I'm going fine with this since 5 years now.

If you use only a blog, I agree that tagging is a great thing for to summarize same articles in one category. For products I prefer to play with keyword density and content direct into the product page, which BTW with PS 1.6.09 is excellent canalized if you don't use all ajax modules (category block, specials, etc. etc.). Simple and clean this is the best way for users/customers and also for search engines. Additional keywords only weaken your main keywords, cause you are sharing the content again. That's my opinion and also experience from the last 11 years (and yes, as newbie years ago I also did many of wrong things and was kicked-out with one page from Google for 2 years !!). Spam is spam, also when it is soft. Keyword tagging for blogs is OK and are a good complement (also for PS), but I will not add tagging to Prestashop directly anymore. Only as apart on sub-section like yourdomain/blog/tagxyz

ADD: BTW I forgot to mention that there is a relative new feature for to update or have actual tags tagged to your project without any manipulation onsite. Did you tried Google Tag Manager ? Is a good way to tell Google your plus content/updated keywording. But this tool is a very specific one for all proficient SEO-Marketers and it's not theme of the discussion here. Only as advice that there are several methods for to market your site.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Coming from SEO background, I do understand problems of keyword stuffing, but am also aware of parts of content being ignored by crawlers.

Nonetheless, my partner really wants the tag cloud included, so I just get on with it.

I do not necessarily need advanced tag module, only a few tags to be excluded from the tag cloud - only from being displayed, because these tags are variation of a main tag, that is still useful for users exploring the content via search field.

Does anybody got a clue how to do this? would tinkering with translation modules would help?

Beside that Google gives them importance or not but as long as website visitors are concerned, they like to see clean urls free from ids, tags, numbers and symbols. 

• 1 month later...
Hi Everyone .
I don't know why, but Advanced Search 4 doesn't work in product tags

For example:

Tag:  http://apavi.ru/tag/kupit-botinki-caterpillar/   is about man's boots.

But if you chose some color it shows every products in shop.

Products needs to be search only in a tag, not in all shop.

Please someone help me.

Edited by Vlad775 (see edit history)