PS Team why you downgrade the editor, Other Editor then Tinymce?

rfourt

Hello..

I really love Prestashop 1.6 its awesome and love working in it once you get your mind around every aspect of it.

But the productpage editor is probably the WORST and BAD i have ever worked with. since Drupal 0.1.

cmon PS team you can do much better then this. And you have. in PS 1.4+>1.5+ even that editor is better then this new editor version in 1.6.

I will explain below some of the bad stuff but first i want to ask if there is any other editor out there that is available or is it perhaps even working to reverse the editor back to similar as in PS 1.4?

Bad things about the new Tinymce editor in PS 1.6

1. Have you tried and work with long product description text?
Im one of these person who likes to give my customers long descriptions of my products, but now in PS 1.6 its really really  terrible to work with these kind of descriptions. The new editor dosnt follow. Instead it just re-size itself so the "admin description productpage" gets so long its terrible to work with. I mean for example even in this forum editor there is a scrollbar to the right inside the editor so if i want to make this text bold i can just scroll inside the editor i don't have to scroll the fre¤#%#¤kin whole page. And this text in this post is about 1/4 of my description text i usually add to my products not to mention if you add pictures in the description text it gets even longer and the editor just keeps making the whole page longer so if i want to make some text at the bottom bolded i have to scroll all the way upp the entire page and press the "B" for bolded and then scroll down again the entire page to see if that looks good. 
This is just terrible regarding "user friendly"

2. The new img/pcture up-loader is really nice i can agree to that but one important thing is missing that also was default in the PS 1.4.  The styling of the picture. Well i know CSS so its not that hard to just go into HTML mode and add the extra css line eg: style="float; left;" for example but for many people i think this is nothing they have the know-how of, they just know that in PS1.4 they could arrange there pictures to be left aligned but now that feature is no longer there,

3. Where is the font size, and all other features that where default in PS 1.4?

I know i can use the hack to get the extended version but cmon?
If i sold hard rives i wouldn't tell my customers that they would have to go and get the chip set some other place and use a hack to install it to the hard drive.

Im sorry PrestaTeam if im bashing, i would never do that if this was the first version of the editor you released and the one before this was with less features. But to go from the editor you had in 1.4 and now downgrade to this, that makes me disappointed and i think some other people to. And no i will not use any other system, PS is the best out there and trust me i have tried, even better then systems my clients have paid over 20K for and you guys are doing a terrific job, but i cant understand what the meaning of this downgrade is, is it some licensing deal? If thats the case i can understand but then offer a paid version of PS im sure you would succeed with such a vendor if you offer some extra features. :)

Anyway.. sorry for bashing.

• Like 3

True, it maybe looks like downgrade but some users like simplicity and was confused with too many options.

But there is solution for you I think check this tutorial that shows extended version

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/318425-tutorial-tinymce-rich-text-editor-extended-version/

plus if you want you can go further and add some plugins that could be useful for you 

http://www.tinymce.com/wiki.php/Plugins

• Like 1

True, it maybe looks like downgrade but some users like simplicity and was confused with too many options.

But there is solution for you I think check this tutorial that shows extended version

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/318425-tutorial-tinymce-rich-text-editor-extended-version/

plus if you want you can go further and add some plugins that could be useful for you 

http://www.tinymce.com/wiki.php/Plugins

Thnx for answer.

yes i understand many options can be scary for novice but to take them away completely is not the way to go. ALthough i have to correct myself and also say that in the new Tinymce editor it seems as they have taken the css editing away completely from the image editing box so i guess not PS fault.. But one thing that they could have added is the resize thingy..

Right now when you have large description the editor only brings up a scrollbar that works to the width not for the height and that makes the editing page very very long and hard to work with when editing text as you have to scroll and scroll again. :P

But i took this as a task now and fixed it myself. If it is a bad hack i dont know but atleast now i have a fixed height of the editor and scrollbars inside the editor.

So if anyone else wants to know how to do this just copy this code and change the ../js/tinymce.inc.js file to this.

function tinySetup(config)
{
    if(!config)
        config = {};

//var editor_selector = 'rte';
    //if (typeof config['editor_selector'] !== 'undefined')
        //var editor_selector = config['editor_selector'];
    if (typeof config['editor_selector'] != 'undefined')
        config['selector'] = '.'+config['editor_selector'];

//    safari,pagebreak,style,table,advimage,advlink,inlinepopups,media,contextmenu,paste,fullscreen,xhtmlxtras,preview
    default_config = {
        selector: ".rte" ,
        plugins : "visualblocks, preview searchreplace print insertdatetime, hr charmap colorpicker anchor code link image paste pagebreak table contextmenu filemanager table code media textcolor emoticons",
        toolbar2 : "newdocument,print,|,bold,italic,underline,|,strikethrough,superscript,subscript,|,forecolor,colorpicker,backcolor,|,bullist,numlist,outdent,indent",
        toolbar1 : "styleselect,|,formatselect,|,fontselect,|,fontsizeselect,", 
        toolbar3 : "code,|,table,|,cut,copy,paste,searchreplace,|,blockquote,|,undo,redo,|,link,unlink,anchor,|,image,emoticons,media,|,inserttime,|,preview ",
        toolbar4 : "visualblocks,|,charmap,|,hr,",

external_filemanager_path: ad+"/filemanager/",
        filemanager_title: "File manager" ,
        external_plugins: { "filemanager" : ad+"/filemanager/plugin.min.js"},
        extended_valid_elements: 'pre[*],script[*],style[*]', 
        valid_children: "+body[style|script],pre[script|div|p|br|span|img|style|h1|h2|h3|h4|h5],*[*]",
        valid_elements : '*[*]', 
        force_p_newlines : false, 
        cleanup: false, 
        forced_root_block : false, 
        force_br_newlines : true, 
        width: 1130,
        height: 500,

menu: {
            edit: {title: 'Edit', items: 'undo redo | cut copy paste | selectall'},
            insert: {title: 'Insert', items: 'media image link | pagebreak'},
            view: {title: 'View', items: 'visualaid'},
            format: {title: 'Format', items: 'bold italic underline strikethrough superscript subscript | formats | removeformat'},
            table: {title: 'Table', items: 'inserttable tableprops deletetable | cell row column'},
            tools: {title: 'Tools', items: 'code'}
        }

}

$.each(default_config, function(index, el)
    {
        if (config[index] === undefined )
            config[index] = el;
    });

tinyMCE.init(config);

};

What is done is basically

Removed the "autoresize" variable from the "plugins" line on line 15.

and added below "force_br_newlines : true," these two lines on line 31.

"width: 1130,"

height: 500," 

(without the "")

Change the width to whatever suits you, for me it was 1130 that works with my theme.,

CHeers.

• Like 3