Speed of site?

djpat99

Hello Prestaworld,

I have been building a new website with Prestashop but have limited knowledge of servers and php etc (although I have picked up some things along the way). My first question is how can I tell what is slowing my website loading times? Is there a way to see if it is something in the software or whether its a slow server. 

My website is http://www.gamer-tech.org.uk which I am building to replace my horrible old website made with MrSite http://www.gamer-tech.co.uk

Also has anyone transferred a domain across before? I want the .co.uk being the main domain for the new website and wonder how difficult that is to do as I have never done that before. 

Sorry that my first post here is asking for help but I will be around the forums forever now and will contribute where I can.

Oh and the server is a cloud server on the professional package with these guys here http://www.names.co.uk/web-hosting

Edited by djpat99 (see edit history)

Hello El Patron, and thank you for the screenshot. I have it set exactly the same but it is still really slow. Guess I'll have to do some digging around. 

start here, set ps debug profiling to true

config/defines.inc.php

define('_PS_DEBUG_SQL_', false);

set to true

note: turn off when completed gathering data as all visitors bo and fo will get data

I have played with that before and just had it on again. While clicking around the site nothing has come up apart from when using the search bar where I did get a fail and this is what was displayed:

Fatal error: Uncaught --> Smarty: unable to write file /var/www/web/cache/smarty/cache/blocktopmenu/1/3/17/index/b5/6b/85/wrt541c5fd2dd4aa4_51798538 <-- thrown in /var/www/web/tools/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_write_file.php on line 46

It only showed once and works other times. Every now and then I get a 500 error. This has every so often since installation. It seems ok when you dont do too much, for example when editing products or uploading CSVs it doesn't seem to like handling too much at a time so I have had to do everything in small chunks. I hope I can sort it as I'm pretty much ready to go live with it. 

I had all the same problems tried it all. Then I bit the bullet and upgraded my hosting $24.00 a month and now me site is fast.

yes, sometimes we blame cms for poor performance, but out of the box 1.6 fresh install is 'very' peppy.  I do not think you can find a lighter weight cms like PrestaShop they really do care about level of host performance required to run.  Make sure you have a regular back up that 1) you understand and 2) can replicate a recovered shop  either on production or best to test rebuild in subdomain.  

happy prestashopping, el