Site not working with www prefix

Does anyone have any ideas why my site would not be working with the www prefix?

I have copied a site that is working perfect to move to a new domain. I copied all files and the database and uploaded to my new domain and configured it to use the new (copied) db. My site that is working is setup with a www prefix in my "Shop domain name" in SEO & URLs and it works fine.

On my new site, when I set my new domain in "Shop domain name" and try to visit my new site I get an "Under Construction" page. This page usually shows with my webhost if I don't have a site setup or dns is not working, but this is not the case here.

If I set the site to exclude the www in "Shop domain name" it then works ok if I visit it without www in the url. However if I use www in the url I get the "Under Construction" message again.

All settings in both PS and on my host seem to be exactly the same excepts for the "Shop domain name" obviously.

Anyone any ideas?

My store is PS v1.4.8.2.

Any help on this please?

I have followed the instructions from here exactly but my newly copied site will not work with www set in the url. I have even tried to force it from www to non-www by .htaccess with this setting -

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.(.*)$ [NC]

But not even this is working. If www is used in the prefix, it goes to the www version of the url and my site does not work.

Many thans in advance...