1clickupgrade to 1.6.0.8 - database upgrade fails

As you can see from the title, I'm trying to migrate to 1.6.0.8 (from 1.6.0.6). All goes well, however the database migration step fails:

All files upgraded. Now upgrading database...[Ajax / Server Error for action upgradeDb] textStatus: "error " errorThrown:"Internal Server Error " jqXHR: " "

Also, I can enter backoffice (thank god for that) but not frontoffice (404 error). I can successfully reverse to 1.6.0.6. After that, when I try to upgrade to 1.6.0.8 once more, installation breaks at the exact same position, so it's not a one time thing (e.g. because of a temporary bad connection or something).

Any help on this? Can I upgrade the database manually? (execute some script manually?). Please advise.

As you can see from the title, I'm trying to migrate to 1.6.0.8 (from 1.6.0.6). All goes well, however the database migration step fails:

All files upgraded. Now upgrading database...[Ajax / Server Error for action upgradeDb] textStatus: "error " errorThrown:"Internal Server Error " jqXHR: " "

Also, I can enter backoffice (thank god for that) but not frontoffice (404 error). I can successfully reverse to 1.6.0.6. After that, when I try to upgrade to 1.6.0.8 once more, installation breaks at the exact same position, so it's not a one time thing (e.g. because of a temporary bad connection or something).

Any help on this? Can I upgrade the database manually? (execute some script manually?). Please advise.

same with me...

Same happened to me, in my case I am using a local xamp server... I tried it twice with same result... so I reversed back by using a snapshot.

I used to have a similar issue when trying to update from Ps 1.5.6.2 to PS 1.6.0.6 and I solved it by using a manual update... however I though it would be fixed at future updates

:(

Hi Everyone, I didn't do the one-click upgrade, but installed a fresh copy of 1.6.0.8 and then copied my original database over and had zero issues...

I hope this information helps anyone...

Jason

Jason, What version of PS was the original database from that you copied over?  

I am also having this issue. I have a 1.5.6.2 on a dev server that updated to 1.6.0.8 then failed at the db upate (as stated in original post). I also have a fresh install of 1.6.0.8. Strange thing is, even though it failed the db update - my db is in tact and BO works perfectly.

Hi, yeah weird things have happened... I had removed the "new and popular" bar (via removing the hooks) and then later I had to completely restore from a backup (from a separate issue), even the entire public folder was nuked, databases were restored, the bar did not show up again even though the back up file was from before I edited that hook... now how is that possible?

Anyway, I had a 1.6.0.7 install before...

Jason

Hi Everyone, I didn't do the one-click upgrade, but installed a fresh copy of 1.6.0.8 and then copied my original database over and had zero issues...

I hope this information helps anyone...

Jason

I would definitely NOT recommend this approach. The problem is that you copy an old database structure over a new, potentially slightly different database structure. Who knows, probably a lot of internal structural database things have changed that will cause serious issues later on, that aren't apparent right now. Everything might seem okay at first, but imagine some nasty bug comes up a couple of weeks later down the road.

Imagine that 1% of the database changed a little (and of course 1.6.0.8 depends on those changes) and you overwrite the database with an older structure, then you risk that some hidden features wont work... maybe your clients will face order bugs, payment errors, all of which lose clients and cause permanent damage to your brand as an e-commerce. I would just wait for an appropriate solution by the devs.

• Like 1

Dear prestafriends - I can report that I have successfully upgraded to 1.6.0.8. The moment there was a new 1click upgrade module update available, I installed it (after first making a backup, lol) and tried a new upgrade procedure. This time everything went as expected and upgrading to 1.6.0.8 was a success. I'm now quickly testing the webshop but first impressions are good.

For me personally, it's solved, but I won't mark the thread as solved because maybe other people might want to continue looking for another solution in case this doesn't work.

No no... The database schema was 1.6.0.8, the data that was imported (pointed to) was from 1.6.0.7.

No problems should be present at all with this method. As the schema (the structure) was 1.6.0.8

Jason

Jason, how did you import the data into the database? With "create table" queries?

Hi, no I just did an export of the old data, then an import of it to the new database. None of the new tables (if any) would be affected, no errors were reported.

At school we learned through a command-line, but I like phpmyadmin a wee bit better ;-)

I hope this info helps!

Jason