Custom theme and Prestashop updates

Hi,

I'm new to Prestashop and I'm developing a custom theme in Prestashop 1.6.0.6.

My custom theme is based on the default theme, so I copied the default theme folder and made my changes there.

Today I updated my Prestashop to 1.6.0.7 and some pieces of my theme are not working as expected.

My cuestions are:

1. Which is the best way to handle Prestashop updates and custom themes?

2. Everytime I update Prestashop my custom theme may stop working? If so, what is the best way to fix it (start a new theme from scratch, diff every file in the new Prestashop version, etc.)?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Joaquín.

You're right, my custom theme has not been modified after upgrading. However, some blocks (such as top menu) are not working correctly.

I've compared the 1.6.0.6 and the 1.6.0.7 default theme and several .tpl files have changed. I suppose that as my custom theme has the "1.6.0.6" .tpl files it may lead to problems when running on 1.6.0.7 (I don't know if that is true, as I said I'm a Prestashop noob).

What I would like to know if that after each upgrade, changes are required to adapt my (unmodified) custom theme to the new tpl files.

There could be some minor changes in some files but mostly there shouldn't be much problems.

To fix topmenu go to yourtheme/js/modules/blocktopmenu/js/blocktopmenu.js and change this:

$(document).ready(function(){
    responsiveMenu();
    $(window).resize(responsiveMenu);
});

to this:

$(document).ready(function(){
    categoryMenu = $('ul.sf-menu');
    mCategoryGrover = $('.sf-contener .cat-title');
    responsiveMenu();
    $(window).resize(responsiveMenu);
});

It is a little bit troublesome to do, but what I did was used WinMerge to find the differences between the stock theme from 1.6.0.6 and my edited version of it, then I incorperated those changes into the 1.6.0.7 theme. It may not be required for you to do, but I just did so as there are bugs which have been fixed in it. Thankfully the 1.6.0.8 update only involved replacing some JS files. :)

Edited by typ3z3r0 (see edit history)

It is a little bit troublesome to do, but what I did was used WinMerge to find the differences between the stock theme from 1.6.0.6 and my edited version of it, then I incorperated those changes into the 1.6.0.7 theme. It may not be required for you to do, but I just did so as there are bugs which have been fixed in it. Thankfully the 1.6.0.8 update only involved replacing some JS files. :)

Yes, I think that your method is the safest. It allows you to take advantage of the bug fixes of the new version template while maintaining your customizations.

Thank you!