Back office display problems

Hi, I am hoping to get some help. After a failed upgrade to 1.6, I reverted to 1.5.6.2 and everything is fine except for the backoffice header, which is acting strange. It is not displaying achievements icon anymore and the search box and quick links are broken. It seems to appear correctly for a second and then a text box covers the drop down and the whole thing de-aligns and is screwed up (I have attached a grab). post-720063-0-08623000-1403087976_thumb.png

I have done everything to clear cache, browser cache, reuploaded files, and so on. Can anyone please tell me how the admin header is created and what is going on behind the scenes? It is not the admin css (in the admin dir and also in the css dir), and it isn't related to my theme, so how do i find what is breaking the header? It's not the javascript because I reuploaded that. Where else can I look for the problem. There are no errors in the console, the source looks perfect, all the scripts load fine in the head section. I am lost as to what else to look at. 

I thought maybe the upgrade screwed things up, but the shop is completely back to its original 1.5.6.2 files, so where else can it be going wrong?

Thanks in advance for any guidance