Advice wanted for flagging users and orders who come from PPC sources

mipapage

Hi there,

I would like to flag users who have come from PPC sources like AdWords. I would imagine something simple like a setting in their user or a setting in an order (or both). 

I'm relatively new to Prestashop but an experienced programmer. Can someone point me in a direction for doing this? I'm thinking of setting a cookie when they arrive, and then ticking a field in the user DB table indicating that they have come from adwords, and doing the same for each order. 

If someone with experience can let me know where in the workflow this would best be done, I'm all ears. I'm more concerned about where in the workflow to make this happen then the secondary bits of displaying this information in the admin side of things once I have it in the DB.

I'll be digging thru the code in the meantime!

Edited by mipapage (see edit history)

Okay, great idea, then I won't have to flag up an extra field. Thanks!

We aren't using anything for tracking at the moment, I was just going to use some code (tracking code, lets call it) to extract the parameters from the landing page URL. 

So, run our tracking code on a front controller, set a cookie, and on the registration process add a private note. Sounds good! (I'll need to see how easy it is to run a report on private notes :)

Edited by mipapage (see edit history)

Be aware that for proficient users tracking cookies perhaps will not work. I for example don't allow them and they are destroyed when page is loaded. But OK I'm a proficient user and the percentage of such users is minimal. ;)

Thanks, yes, we work with what we can count and tend not to worry about the rest. But then again, we can always find you in the server logs ;)